LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access user's login name in Labview

Solved!
Go to solution
I am a Labview novice. I'm developing an application in which I would like to access the persons name who logged onto the computer. I would then like to match the users name against a list of allowed users in order to run the application. Is there an easy way to accomplish this in Labview?    
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,044 Views)

The Application.UserName will return the user name used to open the application:

As for checking it against a list, where's the list coming from? Is it a file? A database? Someplace else? If it's a file you will probably read it into an array and you can then use Search 1D Array to see if the name is in the list (taking into consideration upper/lower case). 

To learn more about LabVIEW it is recommended that you go through the tutorial(s) and look over the material in the NI Developer Zone's Learning Center which provides links to other materials and other tutorials. You can also take the online courses for free.

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 02-27-2009 09:39 AM
Message 2 of 8
(4,030 Views)
Solution
Accepted by chuck72352
Take a look at the attached code, it is in 8.0.  (Beat to the punch)

Message Edited by jmcbee on 02-27-2009 08:41 AM
Download All
Message 3 of 8
(4,029 Views)

I just tried your suggestion in my application and it works great. I dont really understand it but I'll read up.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,012 Views)

jmcbee wrote:
Take a look at the attached code, it is in 8.0.  (Beat to the punch)

Yes, well, you still got marked as the solution, and got a Kudos to boot! I guess sometimes coming in second is better. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 8
(3,988 Views)
I suppose your answer is the preffered one as you taught him how to fish, whereas I gave him a processed fish sandwich.  Atleast he said he was going to try and figure out how it works, I commend that.  You do deserve atleast a Kudos for replying first with the correct answer.  Id like to add that I don't mind coming in second to you as it is people like you who taught me how to fish, as the metaphore goes.
Message 6 of 8
(3,982 Views)
I appreciate the comment. My comment was a tongue-in-cheek remark - not getting Kudos is not going to stop me from trying to help. Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 8
(3,977 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:
I appreciate the comment. My comment was a tongue-in-cheek remark - not getting Kudos is not going to stop me from trying to help. Smiley Wink

That's worth some Kudos 😉

Message Edited by dan_u on 02-28-2009 12:38 AM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,969 Views)