From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access "controls" or buttons on a LabVIEW VI with DLL

Hmmm, I will try this approach and see how it works. I can ask them to enable it and send me a new exe file along with a new DLL to which I can pass parameters. Hopefully, one of these approaches works !

Thanks for all your help, I will come back if I face more hurdles in the above two appraoches.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(675 Views)
What I would do if I was building a dll is, besides having parameters, is to create different functions in the dll that can be called to perform specific tasks. For example, an initialize, a configure, a read, etc. These would basically equate to subVIs that the main front panel would call. I question the programming skills of the vendor.
Message 12 of 14
(668 Views)

As Dennis said, you'll need to work with the vendor. It sounds like they had an existing application, you asked for a DLL, and they gave you the application compiled as a DLL with a single main function to call. I wouldn't jump to the assumption that the vendor is sloppy, though. Did you simply ask for a DLL, or did you give them a specific list of actions you need to be able to perform from the external code? If you didn't tell the vendor exactly what you needed, I can well imagine them doing the quickest thing possible to provide a DLL. Why should they put in extra effort and make it more complicated to call their software - by providing multiple functions in the DLL - if you didn't give them a list of requirements?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(661 Views)

Hello nathand, thanks for your comment ! This is a new development effort on both sides so I could easily see how it may have happened. Also, since the vendor is the owner of the source code, I had assumed what it would take them to do based on our requirements (what all we need to access) from the external code.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(640 Views)