From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acccess filtered measurement data while program is running?

Solved!
Go to solution

My main problem is that the data I am taking is 3 dimensional. I am taking Resistance, Capacitance and Q factor measurements over pre-determined time periods, but the problem is that these measurements are being taken through a switch matrix across provided pin sequences.

So I may take a resistance measurement from Pin1 to Pin 20 across 10 hours and I want a valuable method to displaay this data to the user while the program is still collecting data. I am writing the data to a TDMS file as it is being collected and the output format looks like this:

Data_Format.png

My thoughts were to have 4 separate controls that can be set to access specific aspects of the test while it's running to make this work. My idea is to have (4-6) something similar to the below:

OutputClustor.png

This way the user can narrow down exactly what they are looking at as it happens.

Main question is whether I should/can:

1) Access the TDMS file for the information selected with the above controls to fill out the graph/chart?

2) Stuff the data being measured into a large array, and then have subVI's that filter that large array to grab the display data and fill out the graph/chart?

3) Some other method...

And advice would me much appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,809 Views)

I would just use a chart and add the data to the chart as it is measured.  By default, the chart keeps the last 1024 samples in a history buffer.  You can change that if you want.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,777 Views)

It's not that easy unfortunately. There is a possibility that I have 20+ "connections" with measurements being taken across those connections. How would the user be able to narrow down the data to something worth looking at.

The matrix might take measurements across pins:

1 to 2

3 to 5

6 to 3

7 to 20

4 to 5

And then repeat that sequence every minute. How could the user then narrow down the data to one of those connections, and one type of measurement if the data were saved into a chart?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,766 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rkmadse

;How much data are you talking about?  Is it low enough that you'd be able to keep the entire array in memory?  If so, then I would use your option 2.  Then design an interface that allows the user to determine what connections they want to look at, and your program would parse through that array gathering together the applicable data and display it.

If it is too much data, then you will have to go with the TDMS or some other file storage option and have to read the data back in piecemeal and build your array of the data that applies to display.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,757 Views)