LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASCII to waveform

I am trying to get an idea of how to plan out a program that I am trying to write.  Attached is an example of the ASCII file that is saved from one of the channels on the oscilloscope for my instrument.  In labview 7, I am looking to get this program to find the maximum value and the time that it occurs.  I was leaning toward converting to a waveform and from there be able to get the said x and y values, but I am not sure if that is the best way or not.  A couple pointers would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,690 Views)

What are the columns in your text file?  Have you written any code yet?

Making a lot of guesses here given the lack of detail, but I think I'd use "Read from Spreadsheet File" and "Array Max & Min."

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,676 Views)

This is photomultiplier tube response for a pulsed laser instrument.  The x-axis is time scale and the y-axis is PMT response.  I have not done any programming yet I wasn't really sure the best way to go about programming it so I was just looking for the best direction and go from there.  I am still trying to learn the programming better and I don't really want someone to write code for me, just kind of guide me. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,668 Views)

So it looks like the first column is microseconds before and after trigger and the second column is millivolts.  It looks like a double exponential waveform.  Spreadshhet File to Array should work if all you're looking for is max voltage and its time reference.  You need to smooth this curve because there are a lot of the max value and I think if you just look for the first maximum and take the time of that occurance you'll be too soon.  The 'scope doesn't have enough bandwidth and/or sampling rate to capture this fast of an event.  You need a better 'scope.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,665 Views)