From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASCII to waveform

I am trying to get an idea of how to plan out a program that I am trying to write.  Attached is an example of the ASCII file that is saved from one of the channels on the oscilloscope for my instrument.  In labview 7, I am looking to get this program to find the maximum value and the time that it occurs.  I was leaning toward converting to a waveform and from there be able to get the said x and y values, but I am not sure if that is the best way or not.  A couple pointers would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,680 Views)

What are the columns in your text file?  Have you written any code yet?

Making a lot of guesses here given the lack of detail, but I think I'd use "Read from Spreadsheet File" and "Array Max & Min."

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,666 Views)

This is photomultiplier tube response for a pulsed laser instrument.  The x-axis is time scale and the y-axis is PMT response.  I have not done any programming yet I wasn't really sure the best way to go about programming it so I was just looking for the best direction and go from there.  I am still trying to learn the programming better and I don't really want someone to write code for me, just kind of guide me. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,658 Views)

So it looks like the first column is microseconds before and after trigger and the second column is millivolts.  It looks like a double exponential waveform.  Spreadshhet File to Array should work if all you're looking for is max voltage and its time reference.  You need to smooth this curve because there are a lot of the max value and I think if you just look for the first maximum and take the time of that occurance you'll be too soon.  The 'scope doesn't have enough bandwidth and/or sampling rate to capture this fast of an event.  You need a better 'scope.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,655 Views)