From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACS550 control with LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I recently set up a ABB ACS550 drive to control a wind tunnel air speed.  I have been controlling the drive through the interface on the drive itself;  however,  I am now looking to control the unit with LabVIEW.  I am not sure where to start and was wondering if someone could explain what hardware I would need and the basics on how this control can be set up. 

Thank you!

- Alex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(5,683 Views)

Does your drive controller have the Fieldbus embedded or the Fieldbus adapter? If so, then it can be controlled using Modbus protocol over a RS 485 serial bus. This will require a serial adapter, if your computer doesn't have an appropriate serial interface (fewer and fewer do these days), there are a few USB-Serial adapters that will do this. National Instruments has a few.  There is a Modbus library on the NI site as well.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(5,677 Views)

I am not sure which my model has.  How would I be able to tell?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(5,669 Views)

Hi Alex,

I would try looking in the manual for your device to see if you can find which configuration your model has. I was able to find the manual and have linked it here for you. The section about the Embedded Fieldbus can be found on page 199 and the section on Fieldbus Adapters can be found on 231. Hope this helps!

Mychal F

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(5,663 Views)

After looking in the manaul and at the device, I have found I do have a embeded fieldbus.  I also notice that there is a way to control the drive with digital inputs.  Has anyone had experience with the digital?  I am trying to come up with a list of pro's and con's for each method.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(5,650 Views)

Hi Alex,

LabVIEW is capable of interfacing with your drive whether you use the embedded fieldbus or the digital lines. You should be able to find examples of each type of communication either in the Example Finder (open LabVIEW, Help->Find Examples) or on our website (type in your search and filter by examples). As far as the hardware goes, I would contact the manufacturer of your device to see if they could recommend one way over the other. However, I believe that it will ultimately come down to which method you would prefer to use. Hope this helps!

Mychal F

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(5,641 Views)

Thank you for all of your help!  I will try the different ways and post any queustions I have along the way.

-Alex

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(5,630 Views)

Dear Alex,

Directly you can't access the communication of ACS 550.

Previously I had communication with ABB ACS 550, using ModBUS protocol I am acquiring the drive real time data.

First you have to understand how to operate LCD display panel.

First you have to select your communication mode.

Select register 9802- default value is 0 set it as 1 this will enable your ModBUS communication.

Once you enable the communication mode.

Move to your communication settings so select below mention registers.

5301- Configure device device ID

5302- Configure device baud rate

5303- Configure device parity

Remove your display panel and connect the wire with D+ and D-. One more step you have to remember there is one dip switch in the device you have to on this.

Do simple ModBUS acquisition

Read these registers

Drive Parameter     Modbus Protocol Reference

SPEED                                   40102

FREQ OUTPUT                    40103

CURRENT                             40104

TORQUE                               40105

POWER                                 40106 

DC BUS VOLT                     40107 

OUTPUT VOLTAGE           40109

and a lot more you can do with drive. for more detail read the user manual of ABB ACS 550.

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu Goyal | LabVIEW Engineer- Power System Automation
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(5,626 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex716

After a few weeks of playing with the digital input on the drive I now have a program that will control it.  Thank you for your help.  If anyone needs help with the digital controls feel free to ask.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(5,586 Views)

Hello!

I am quit new to labview, but I need to run a ACS550 with labview. My question is if it would
be possible to see your program? It would save me a
lot off time.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(5,542 Views)