From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Rolf Kalbermatter Article - External Code in LabVIEW, Part1: Historical Overview

I’m very excited to announce that Rolf Kalbermatter will be blogging a series of articles on LabVIEW external code interface at Expressionflow. The first article in the series is

External Code in LabVIEW Part1: Historical Overview

To avoid missing the next articles in the series, please subscribe to the Expressionflow feed with your favorite feed reader.

Tomi
--
Tomi Maila
Message 1 of 12
(4,444 Views)
Rolf Kalbermatter has posted two interesting articles in the series External Code in LabVIEW at Expressionflow.

External Code in LabVIEW, Part 2: Comparison between shared libraries and CINs.
Not looking at ActiveX and .Net since they both are Windows technologies only and are not really suited to integrate generic external code into LabVIEW, there remain two similar possibilities nowadays to integrate external code into LabVIEW. These are CINs and shared libraries through use of the Call Library Node. While CINs used to have certain advantages over shared libraries in the past this is basically since about LabVIEW 6 not true anymore and with LabVIEW 8.20 the Call Library Node got additional features that remove the last (esoteric) advantages CINs had over shared libraries. On the other side the use of shared libraries through the Call Library Node has quite a few advantages.

In this article I will try to compare the most important differences between these two thechnologies and try to make a point, why anyone should nowadays go for the Call Library Node with shared libraries instead of using CINs....

External Code in LabVIEW, Part 3: How to use Call Library Node properly to ease multi platform supp...

Shared libraries are since about LabVIEW 6 the preferred way for use with external code in LabVIEW. While they can directly interface with many existing shared libraries for the platforms LabVIEW supports, they can also be used to interface to shared libraries that were specifically developed for use with LabVIEW. And one of the very neat features of LabVIEW itself is its multi-platform support. This multi-platform support can even be taken to external shared libraries that were specifically developed for use with LabVIEW. If one observes a few rules and makes smart use of some not very well documented facts and features of the Call Library Node, this will result in a very easily maintainable solution both in terms of the C code as well as the LabVIEW VI libraries....

To avoid missing the next articles in the series, please subscribe to the Expressionflow feed with your favorite feed reader.
--
Tomi Maila
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,382 Views)

Hi Tomi,

can you resurrect the links please, says not found on expression flow.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,873 Views)

http://web.archive.org/web/20070525153607/http://expressionflow.com/?

The Wayback Machine has it.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,865 Views)

Great,

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,860 Views)

Sorry the old data is lost unfortunately.

--
Tomi Maila
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,855 Views)

Or you can go here now, to read the resurrected data on a blog I recently started:

https://blog.kalbermatter.nl

I still need to reactivate the link for the Taskbar library on there, but everything else is there.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 8 of 12
(3,824 Views)

Hi Rolf,

Under the section for LV 6 you wrote...

"

This were external code fragments not loaded into the VI itself but instead being left as independent files on the file system,

"

Should the word "this" actually be "These" ?

Yes that is being asked by someone with no ability to spell or type BUT I just wanted to make a most excellent blog "perfect in every way" (see Marry Poppins) !

Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 12
(3,791 Views)

Ben wrote: BUT I just wanted to make a most excellent blog "perfect in every way" (see Marry Poppins) !

Or do you mean Sharry Bobbins?

Message 10 of 12
(3,779 Views)