LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6k4 and Motion ToolBox over serial port?

This oughta' be simple, but... how do you use the Compumotor 6k4 controller, with the Motion ToolBox VIs, over a serial port? My previous experience was with the AT6400 controller, which was pretty straight forward: a card resided in the PC and connected directly to the older controller. I don't want to have to rewrite all the Motion Toolbox VIs (that I've already paid for). Surely there's a setup method that would make the communication method (serial port) transparent so life can be simple again, but I can't seem to find any examples.
John

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."- Lt. (j.g.) Howell Forgy, Sky Pilot, USS New Orleans, 12/7/41
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,968 Views)
Have you tried searching Compumotor/Parker's FAQ? I also had used the AT6x50 series and recently upgraded to the 6K series. No Motion Toolbox (yet) since I have no used LV yet to integrate motion. If you come across a resolution, please post it here.

Thanks

-Pete
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,958 Views)
I did a search and found a simple VI sending a few commands but nothing that would let me "setup" and then use the Motion Toolbox VIs as they currently exist. I have a number of motion control/measurement VIs I've written in the past for the AT6400 controller that I want to copy - not completely rewrite. I'd still be using the AT6400 but I changed programs and previous program doesn't want to give it up. (I've considered coming in early one morning and "liberating" it, but it would be missed - and it would be obvious who took it.)

thx
John

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."- Lt. (j.g.) Howell Forgy, Sky Pilot, USS New Orleans, 12/7/41
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,953 Views)
There was a similar post a while ago. Someone posted some VI's - you can find them here.

Repost if this is not what you were looking for.

JenK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,932 Views)
Hello all,

I am wondering if any of you guys who have good experience with Parker/Compumotor's 6K controllers will also look into my earlier post. I wonder if you can help me with the issue.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=108312&query.id=18314#M108312

Gracias..!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,914 Views)
JenK,

Those are the files I was referring to. I would like to use Motion Toolbox VIs. The referenced files send various commands, which I'm assuming are Motion Architect commands.
John

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,904 Views)
If you cannot get an answer on this discussion forum and need additional tech support, the best thing would be to call Compumotor, since they make the Motion Toolbox specifically for their controllers, and see if it can work with the 6K4 series. Since National Instruments didn't write the VI's, we won't be able to support them. But when you do find an answer, it would be great if you could post it up here for other customers to have access to. Best of luck!

Tyler S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,888 Views)
HK45acp

I looked at your first post again, and then it dawned on me- the AT6xxx series reside in the PC as you said. Thus it makes sense that there is no configurable communication vi settings (ie COMx). On Compumotors FAQ site:

The 6K is NOT compatible with current versions of Motion Toolbox or Motion OCX. These software packages were written for 6000Series products which utilize a different command set and communication interface than the 6K.

However, the 6Ks ComServer provides the same functionality as Motion Toolbox and Motion OCX did for the 6000Series products. Examples on our website and the Motion Planner CD-ROM show how the ComServer can be used in LabView, Visual Basic, and Visual C++ environments. Details concerning syntax and usage of ComServer methods and properties can be found in the 6K Programmers Guide and/or the 6K Addendum.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,883 Views)
Bummer- from another FAQ'R:

LabVIEW / Motion Toolbox & Compumotor Products

A common misconception is that MOTION TOOLBOX - a library of LabVIEW Virtual Instruments (also called "VI"s) for icon-based programming - can be used with all Compumotor motion controllers. However, MOTION TOOLBOX is available for use with 6000 Series motion controllers only, and is incompatible with all 6K motion controllers. No version of MOTION TOOLBOX is currently planned for the 6K product line.

Users of 6K Motion Controllers can still interface with Labview software, although they must create their own "VI"s to interface (the VI icons are already created in the MOTION TOOLBOX software). A list of 6K com6srver methods for interfacing with LabVIEW is available in the 6K User Addendum located on this website. Click on the Literature icon at the top of the Home page, then click on User Guides, then 6K Series Product Documentation to view and download the 6K Addendum.

We have examples of using LabView with the 6K on our website under Sample Files for the 6K. We have an example using Ethernet and RS232.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,881 Views)
AK2DM-

"The 6K is NOT compatible with current versions of Motion Toolbox or Motion OCX. These software packages were written for 6000Series products which utilize a different command set and communication interface than the 6K."

Well that's a major drag. I would have purchased another AT6400 but I was told they're being obsoleted. The salesperson didn't mention that Motion Toolbox wasn't compatible with the 6K4. Are all the AT6XXX controllers going away?

"However, the 6Ks ComServer provides the same functionality as Motion Toolbox and Motion OCX did for the 6000Series products."

I see that it provides communication between the PC and the 6K4, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't include anything similar to the canned series of VIs included in Motion Toolbox. I guess the bottom line is that I'll have to write VIs to duplicate the Motion Toolbox VIs I'm used to having.

Thanks to all,

John
John

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,867 Views)