From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d model exprot from labview

Hello, I wonder if there any opportunities in LabView to export my 3d image (or a 2 - dimentional array) into some 3d model formal, like .stl? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,489 Views)

Hi 3dphysics,

LabVIEW allows you to import 3D file formats such as VRML, STL and ASE. However, we do not have a library that would allow us to export those images into a 3d model format. This would be a library that you would have to ask someone with CAD expertise to create. You should talk to CAD vendors whose projects interact with LabVIEW and ask them to develop the necessary VIs.

Regards,

William Fernandez

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,442 Views)

Here is a VI that saves 3D data into a binary .stl file. The data must be properly organized into triangles before saving though. The code is based on the info from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)). I have not used that code for a while so I do not give any warranty (it does work though) but I think that you can use it to see how to develop your own code to save 3D data into an .stl file.

Marc Dubois
Message 3 of 7
(4,423 Views)

Dear Mr. Marc Dubois

I have obtained 3D image object via 3D laser scanner system. But this is the first step, then I need convert this 3D scanned object into *.COP ( cloud of point) to use in 3D machine vision library ( 3D-MVL). 

Have you ever seen this?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,198 Views)

Hi Quach,

What is the format of the 3D image? Are you saving it to a .stl file and then trying to convert it to a .cop file? I don't believe there is any native functionality for this.

JD B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,145 Views)

Dear Mr JD B

I have built 3D image from the signal of hardware, and three array of dimesion as below picture.

I am trying to use these array as input signal to use in 3D Machine Vision Library, but I have no success. There is no native functionality to do this.

Could you have any suggestion?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,133 Views)

Hi Quach,

I would contact ImagingLab. They will have more information about that add-on and will be able to give more details and support for your application.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210879

JD B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,059 Views)