LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D spherical graphing: Connecting Outer Points

So, this is my first semester working with LABview and for my final project I decided to create my own digital geiger counter in order to treat a radioactive source as a point source that could be used to generate a 3D model.  The program works wonderfully and I've acquired the data I need, but I'm having trouble working with the parameters of the 3D graphing tools. 

I'll include my data and the VI for the graph below but essentially its made up of 4 colums.  The first three represent the x,y,z coordinates I've positioned the geiger counter at with respect to the source, while the fourth column represents the number of radiation counts I received within a 10 second interval.  So in my graphing VI i simply pull these out from the document, send them into the 3D model as 2D arrays, and plot them out on the 3D parametric graph.

While this does work properly, the picture generated is not entirely what I want.  Rather than the thin slices representing a single full rotation around the source, Im looking to connect the graph such that it represent a round spherical plot around the graph; essentially fill in the pockets between each of the major rotations I did so that it looks like a full circle.  

If anyone has any suggestions on how to accomplish this, it would be appreciated.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,355 Views)

Orbal,

Have you seen this post?

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-plot-3D-surface-graph-from-X-Y-Z-points/td-p/1193853

Check over it and see if any of those VIs are helpful. I also found this post, which describes how to set a 3D surface plot to cartesian coordinates, which you may be able to work with.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/3d-plot-sphere-with-vectors/td-p/761600

Also, from a practical standpoint, I think the slices that show up on your VI as is are pretty good for representing the concentrations within the sphere. A solid surface around the outside wouldn't give a very good indication of what was happening within the whole area. If you only have points on the outer surface, a sphere may work better, but if you get internal points the slices would be more illustrative.

Austin
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,305 Views)