LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D mesh object libraries?

Hi, I am playing with 3D objects and wonder if there are any object libraries online that contain the mesh coordinates that could be used with the create mesh function. I'm particularly looking for anatomical segments - arms, legs, head etc, and their textures if possible.   

Failing coordinates, then file format conversions that work with 3D objects would be great!

Thanks

Graham 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,169 Views)

You can have a look at the Haro3D library.

And have a look at and join the 3D Vision group as well.

Let me know if you have any question.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,144 Views)

Thank you Marc, I would love to use Haro3D! But I have LabVIEW version 2012. VIPM isn't allowing download for pre-2013 versions.  

Is there a good file format to look out for that works well with the create mesh function? .. perhaps I should explore the vision group.

Graham

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,113 Views)

LabVIEW 2013 and later is required for Haro3D because of the .OBJ mesh format. What are you looking for exactly? If you are not interested by the .OBJ format, you can simply use the .stl format. LabVIEW has a .stl load VI in the sub-Palette Programming > Graphics & Sound > 3D picture control > File loading.

To save a mesh in the .stl function, you can use the VI in this post. Haro3D has a newer version of that VI.

Those are perfect questions to submit to the 3D Vision group!

Marc Dubois
Message 4 of 7
(4,101 Views)

Many thanks Marc, I wanted to avoid writing out a list of mesh coordinates by hand and generally have a play. I had hoped to find the mesh of a human head, and see if I could map a texture to it; and do the same with bones to see what might be possible for future projects.

..  I work in biomechanics.

Graham

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,946 Views)

You can find all sorts of 3D models of heads and human bodies at sites like www.turbosquid.com and www.tf3dm.com. Some models are free but you have to make sure of the compatibility of the license with your application.

If you want to create your own model or texture or both, you will have to use a software like 3ds MAX or Maya. You can also use Blender, that is a free open source software. You can also use Blender to convert some of the other model formats, like .max, into .obj.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,921 Views)

Correction: you can convert a .3ds format into .obj. .max format cannot be converted into .obj using blender.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,865 Views)