LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D graph plot properties - cannot be changed

Sorry for the inconvenience.

This became weird to me. On my test machines, I never reproduce the problem in LV2012 and even in LV2011. The code behind the PropertyDialog is setting a tab control value (showing the sub panel) by a tree control value change. In LV2011, the tab control value is set by local variable. Local variable sometimes ignores updating the front panel data in certain context (for performance), which could result in the bug mentioned in this thread. In LV2012, the tab control value is set by its own terminal instead. This, in principle, should update the front panel data. But somehow, it is not in some cases.

So I would need your help who can reproduce the problem.
1) Do you use localized LV or English? Is the VI has the Plot in a project or not? When opening the PropertyDialog, is the page not changeable at the very beginning?
2) Will it help if changing the terminal to a property node "value" in the "Page List" value change event in the "vi.lib\Math Plots\3D Math Plots\3D Surface\3D Surface\Public\Property Page\Property Dialog.vi"? After changing, please try PropertyDialog in the Surface Plot.
valuechange.png

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(1,020 Views)

Hello hanrock,

here are my information on your questions:

1. LabVIEW12.0 (32 bit), English version, Windows 7 (64 bit), 3D-Waterfall-Plot is placed on a tab-page in the main-VI of a project. The problem is from the very beginning after opening the PropertyDialog. But after creating the VI and placing the 3D-Waterfall-Plot to it, the problem did not appear. I ran and saved the VI many times and after a while I recognised the problem with the PropertyDialog. I cannot tell you, when this happened because I do not use the PropertyDialog everytime I run or save the VI. The problem exists in the development environment and also if I run the VI.

2. I solved the problem by changing something in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\Math Plots\3D Math Plots\3D Waterfall\3D Waterfall\Public\Property Page\Property Dialog.vi (I moved the OK button a little) and saving the VI. Now its working properly.

Thanks,

Baui

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(992 Views)

Hello everyone,

I have been taking a look at this and trying to reproduce it in LabVIEW 2012 / 2013 and I am not able to reproduce it, it is a strange issue. A few more questions - 

1) What is the screen resolution on your machine?

2) When the window freezes, do the OK/Cancel buttons at the bottom still function?

3) Can you try renaming your LabVIEW.ini file to see if there is some non-standard setting that is causing this? To do this, navigate to your Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012 folder and rename LabVIEW.ini to something like LabVIEWini.bak. This will cause LabVIEW to generate a new INI file on next launch. If that doesn't fix the behavior, delete the new LabVIEW.ini and rename your LabVIEWini.bak back to LabVIEW.ini (to restore all of your custom settings). If changing the INI file helps, please post or message me the INI file so I can investigate it.

4) Does making a small change to the VI and resaving it fix the problem permanently? Or just until the next time you launch LabVIEW?

Making small changes to the VIs and saving them forces a recompile, which is likely what is fixing this behavior. One way to test this behavior is to do a force recompile of the VI hierarchy.

CTRL + Shift + Run Arrow will force a recomple of a VI and its entire hierarchy in memory. As a warning, this can be slow for large hierarchies and for OOP. If you put the problem 3D graphs on the front panel and do this, it should do a recompile of all the VIs in the classes for those 3D graphs and potentially fix this issue.

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(958 Views)

I have been able to reproduce this error in 2013 and can report that, unfortunately, NONE of the solutions that have been suggested in this thread actually make ANY difference.

This needs to get resolved.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(936 Views)

Hi drval,

Could tell me which solution have you tried?

1) Use the property node in the "Property Dialog.vi", per message 21.
2) Move the OK button and save, per message 22.
3) Recompile the VI, per message 23.
4) Open "Property Dialog.vi" scroll up to display the tabs, expand the window down to redisplay OK, Cancel, and Help buttons, and then to save the vi, per message 11.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(918 Views)

Same issue here, with Modern 3D Surface Plot.

Restarting LV temporarily solved the problem for me. But it is annoying.

A fix might be in order.

LabVIEW 2013 SP1
Windows 7 64bit
Windows Server 2012 64 bit
Windows 8.1 32 bit
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(861 Views)

Same problem in LV_2013. The solutions for me:  If I close the project and open the vi on its own, the pages work fine. 

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(675 Views)