LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D bar graph: issues using 2D Y-Z plane and timestamp

Hi,

I'm having issues trying to plot a multiplot 3D bar graph using view towards Y-Z plane property (3D plot properties/View direction). This makes the 3D graph basically look like 2D. Bar graph looks quite ok when it is drawn without y vector (timestamp) but as soon as the timestamp is connected it doesn't make any sense. The bars are basically thin lines plotted to a very small area. Autoscaling or manual scaling doesn't help. Attached is a small example VI with some data which gives an idea what I'm trying to accomplish and what the issue is.

What I would like to achieve is to keep the bar width as in the case before y vector is connected to and have timestamps.

I'll be glad if you had any suggestions that could help.

Thanks,

Matti

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,179 Views)

Hi Matti,

The count of sacle label is defined by "Tick Major Count". You can get it from 3D Plot Properties->Axis->Tick Spacing or VI Server->Axis->Tick. Here is an example of using VI server property.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,172 Views)

Thanks for the answer. Although it solves a problem that I didn't even notice yet 🙂

Did you try to connect the timestamps array to y vector input of  Plot helper.vi? Defining "Tick Major Count" doesn't help when you connect timestamps to y vector input.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,168 Views)

Sorry, I didn't catch you original problem.

The Plot Help.vi only accepts the float type. All internal calculation uses float for memory concideration. An workaround for this is to convert your time to double first, then to float. The side affect is the time is not accurate when recovered since the conversion reduces precision.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,153 Views)

Timestamps are already as DBL if you looked at the block diagram. I tried converting to SGL also, but that doesn't help either. Those bars still appear as very thin lines when timestamps are wired to y vector input of "Plot Helper.vi" and Y-Z plane is used.

Time doesn't have to be so accurate. I'd like to use only date (system date format) on y axis.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,151 Views)

Oooh. This is a bug for 3D Bar. The width and internal are not relative to the actual range. I filed CAR 344934.

If you could use 3D projection, you can use value pair (also from Properties or VI Server) as a temporary workaround. Value pair can override scale with any text. Here is an example.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,139 Views)

Ok, thanks for the help. That workaround doesn't help in my case because I need to be able to use Y-Z plane with timestamp.

Do you have any other ideas that could help? All I basically need is a 2D grouped bar graph with 3 readings per day and at least 7 days of data visible on graph. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,133 Views)