LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Stem Graph String-based Axes

Solved!
Go to solution

When using 3D Stem Plots and real-world data, I successfully generate a 3D Graph. However, I was wondering if it is possible to customize the X and Y axis values with strings rather than numbers. I still want the Z-Axis to be a numerical intensity, but rather than having the X and Y values be an integer that I have to define in a note, I would like to make these values show strings.

My VI (attached) involves sample baseball batting/running statistics for each position (except pitcher).

Thanks in advanced,

T16626

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."
~Henry Ford
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,963 Views)

If I understood you correctly, you are simply wanting to add labels to your graph.  The following link goes over customizing graphs:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361G-01/lvconcepts/customizing_graphs_and_charts/

Does that information answer your question?

Regards,

Shane C

Message 2 of 5
(2,907 Views)

Thanks Shane, but this isn't exactly what I was asking. Maybe I convoluted my question.

Imagine a 2 dimensional vertical bar graph.

The Y-Axis shows intensity, while the X-Axis is marked with what each bar refers to.

So let's say we're looking at a pizza parlor. They graph how many cheese, pepperoni, and sausage pizzas are sold on average per week.

Cheese---25 per week

Pepperoni---20 per week

Sausage---18 per week

so the X-Axis would have 3 tick marks, one designating each bar (cheese, pepperoni, and sausage) and the Y-Axis would be marked from 0 to 25, and the bars would reach 25, 20, and 18 units high respectively.

Here's a visualization of an ideal X-Axis (from Wikipedia's page "Bar Chart"): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Incarceration_Rates_Worldwide_ZP.svg

What I am looking to do is find a way to create these custom ticks on the X-Axis instead of writing off to the side:

"1 refers to cheese, 2 refers to pepperoni, and 3 refers to sausage"

Please note that my goal is to apply this concept to a 3-D graph, rather than a 2-D graph.

Hope this clarifies my question.

~T16626

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."
~Henry Ford
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,903 Views)

I am sorry for the confusion there.  I have put together a simple example that modifies the tick marks on a 3D graph.  I only modified one of the axis, but you should be able to expand upon this code for your particular application.

Does this better answer your question?

Regards,

Shane C

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,883 Views)
Solution
Accepted by T16626

My code in the previous post was for LabVIEW 2013.   I have included here a LabVIEW 2011 version of the code.  If another version is needed, I will see if I can create one.

Regards,

Shane C

Message 5 of 5
(2,882 Views)