LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Solidworks Model with Temperature Sensors

Hey all,

For my senior design project, I've been trying to create a incorporate my Solidworks model that I have previously into my Labview program. I have watched a few tutorials outlining different ways to incorporate a Solidworks model and test stress and movement of this model. For my application, I am trying to incorporate around 16 different heat sensors in different positions around this model in Labview. I want my program to give a 3D representation of the positions of these sensors in space so that the user knows exactly where a certain temperature reading is occurring. This way, the user can pinpoint the position in this model where the temperature is increasing or decreasing. I am having a great deal of trouble trying to create this code and haven't found any tutorials outlining similar situations as mine. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could go about creating this code? How does one incorporate heat sensors into a Solidworks model via Labview? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,256 Views)

Hi jab10015,

I want to make sure I understand what you're trying to do.  From what I'm reading, you are trying to incorporate simulated heat sensors in SolidWorks, which would be gathering data from your SolidWorks model, and using LabVIEW to gather that data.  Is this right?

The only SolidWorks support in LabVIEW that I can find is with NI SoftMotion, which is geared towards mechanical systems - primarily movement using motors.  You can read about it here: 

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372876d.pdf

I can't find anything regarding thermal readings from a SolidWorks model, unfortunately.  Please let me know if the above article is useful, and if I can assist you in any other way.  Also, if I am misunderstanding your project, please give me more information so I can understand better.

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,206 Views)
Spicy_mystery,

I have seen that article and understood it was just for simulated motion. For my application, I wanted to put simulated heat sensors in a Soldiworks assembly that represents an actual model that was 3D printed. The 3D printed model will have real temperature sensors throughout its entirety. They will sense temperature changes caused by an outside heating instrument. With Labview, I wanted to show the user exactly where these temperature fluctuations are occurring on the model in real time.

To summarize my plan, I want my Labview program to collect temperature readings and show exactly where in the model these measurements are taken. The location of these sensors in the model are extremely important in my application.

If I am unable to do this on my Solidworks model in Labview, is there a way I can display a 3D heat map of the different temperature readings? By this I mean can I create a coordinate system that shows the thermal gradients occurring throughout my model in real time? I want to emphasize that my main goal is to show the user which sensors is at what temperature and when on my model. If you would like me to clarify more extensively please let me know. Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,192 Views)

jab10015,

I initially saw this and asked Spicy to jump in because I thought you were trying to interface with Solidwords directly. Your latest post made me realize I had misunderstood the question, and I believe I have an answer for you. Just to make sure, you're wanting to take physical measurements and then map them on to a virtual 3D model within LabVIEW, correct?

If so, there is an express VI that you can find under the programming/graphics and sound/3d picture control/helpers that is called Sensor Mapping (provided you're running a LabVIEW 8.6 or higher). It sounds like it will do what you're after.

As far as documentation for it goes, you can find the manual page here:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvpict/sensor_mapping/

A community example here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2059

And a solution for a common issue here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2D8235CFB7C06A21862574BE00595B9B

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,177 Views)