From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Sensor Mapping Point placement Automation

Forum

I have a labVIEW question about the 3D Sensor mapping Express VI.    I have gotten this to work some for my application.  Can Take a Solidworks file and make a STL(ascii) file and get it into indicator.   Can make measurement points manually and get measurement data to change the color of model at the points selected.   All good so far.

Hoping for some help though in the area of number of points.  I have around  120 pressures measurement points that are at specific points for the model.  Placing all of these 120 points  manually is extremely difficult and error prone, (as the order of placement must agree with order in the input array. not to mention the movement in the model is very awkward)

Is there a way to programaticaly assign these points in a file, (like Location in x,y,z) and  size. ( I have used DIADem and it does a much better job of this, as it just picks the existing stl point number and relates the data channel to the point number) It is best for me, if I can solve this with LabVIEW versus DIAdem for this project)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Paul

972 369 9017

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,825 Views)

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're trying to do.  Please post an example and maybe show us how you're doing the process manually and/or in DIAdem.

ps. probably not a good idea to put your phone number in a post. If somebody want to get ahold of you they can use a private message through.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,798 Views)

A little more background.

The applicaiton that I started with was a Example from NI for the Sensor Mapping 3D.VI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,787 Views)

Another post to describe the issue.

I then changed out the model in the sensor mapping Express VI with a STL(ascii) file.  This worked out well.

Next part of task is to view the model in the configuration of the Express VI.   This is where points have to be added that will be linked to the values coming in the array in the Express VI.  For the shipping examples there are under 5 points to add, and the points can be placed in very imprecise locations(it is a demo after all)   The only way I know of to place the points is to manuever around the model and then right click to place a new measurement link point. 

That is where  my needs change.  I have 120 precisely placed pressure sensors on a model.  In order for me to place my points, I have to manuever around the model and find the pressure ports and then right click on that, As well as keeping in mind that the order I am placing these points matters,

The issues are:

1) The manuevering around the model is challenging and extrememly time consuming,  As I have to zoom in on all the points to accurately place the point.

2) Given that the order matters, have to put the points in the correct order. so if I see two points to place the points on in the screen, I can place only one of them due to the second one being in a different order.

3) would prefer to have a file where would list the X,Y,Z locations where I want the points to be place,  Or even use the existing point numbers in the model.  This would allow me to detemine where I want my points in Solidworks, and then transfer these to a text documenet(or even Excel) to  Build the position to  order list. That way I will know the correct point is being lit up by the data from the correct sensor.

Hopefully this helps. 

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,786 Views)