LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Graph Color Bug

Solved!
Go to solution

I am just discovering the new 3D graph objects (LV 2010) and noticed some odd behavior.

If you color the Graph object (not the plots), this cannot be undone (in other words Ctrl-Z does not work).

This is fine since a simple work around is to paint the object back with the original color.

I think it qualifies as a bug nonetheless.

However, here is an even more odd thing: if you paint the "ViewPoint" buttons (or whatever they are called), depending on where you click with the brush, you may end up with a square smack in the middle of the button as shown below (bottom right):

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

The problem is that there does not seem to be a workaround.

Since Ctrl-Z does not work, I tried to paint the square with a transparent color, and a few color combinations, but could not find a way to revert to the original "no square hidding the glyph" situation.

The only fix is to "Revert" to the previous VI status (which is pretty drastic), or delete the Graph object and put a brand new one instead (or replace it by a brand new one), which is barely less drastic.

Is this a known "feature"?

Message 1 of 14
(6,331 Views)

OK, so the buttons are called "Projection Palette".

Another interesting (and annoying) feature/bug of this object is that when you quit LV, it forgets all about the color scheme that you have just painstakingly applied to it!

In other words, when you reopen LV, the control looks like it was just dropped from the control palette...

Message 2 of 14
(6,324 Views)

Hi there, so that behavior is intended but there is a workaround that I was able to find for you.  The attached vi lets you color the 3d graph and modify the properties and those properties will stay after you save.

Scott A
SSP Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,300 Views)

Do you mean "this behavior is NOT intended"?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,297 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author X.

The colors not staying after you saving is the default setting for 3d charts but can be modified to remain after you save.

The mysterious projection palette color boxes that appear are due to a boolean textbox over each of those buttons. The odd square is the text background. You should be able to make that boolean text invisible by replacing it with a decal instead.

Scott A
SSP Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,290 Views)

I guess I will have to accept this as an answer... But I still perceive these peculiarities as annoyances and unnatural behaviors.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,283 Views)

Hi Scott,

I successfully used your vi with LabVIEW 2011, but with the new LabVIEW 2011 SP1 the vi is broken and it can't be run anymore.

Could you post a fixed version of your vi, please?

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,180 Views)

Hey vix,

I can confirm that the code does not work in 2011 SP1. However, when I tried to load it in just regular 2011 to see what the differences would have been I was unable to open the code in 2011 as well. Were you able to simply open and run the code in LabVIEW 2011 or did you have to make some changes to the code before it worked? I doubt that we took any type of functionality out of LabVIEW between 2011 and 2011 SP1 so I am curious as to how you got the code to work in 2011.

Thanks,

Doug B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,158 Views)

I could be wrong and I could have used this vi with LabVIEW 2010... I'm not sure.

Then after having installed LabVIEW 2011 I could have edited Facade.vi inside LV installation directory without using this vi.

Sorry but I can't remember exactly. For sure I didn't modify this vi when I used it.

Vix
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,151 Views)

Hey vix,

I talked to the engineer that originally built the VI from this forum and he remembers that it was built as a bug fix for a few bugs that were present in the 2010 version of LabVIEW. I checked the LabVIEW 2011 release notes and there were a bunch of bug fixes for the 3D graphs included in the release of 2011. Have you tried simply using the given LabVIEW VIs and functions in stead of this VI? There is a pretty good chance that you won't need this VI to get the functionality you are looking for in your program.

Hope This Helps,

Doug B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,134 Views)