LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

34461A timeout

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm controlling the Agilent 34461A DMM via USB.  I'm using the example VI that came with the DMM drivers: 'Agilent 3446X Series Acquire Multiple.vi'.  Sometimes the DMM is unresponsive and I get a timeout error -1073807339.  When this happens I have to cycle the DMM's power to get it going again.  The timeout is set for 10 seconds.  Any ideas what may be going on here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,770 Views)
You can set the timeout value to -1 so that the function will never timeout. This solution should resolve the timeout error being thrown but may not work with your system's requirements.

Message 2 of 5
(3,683 Views)

@Queue-tip wrote:
You can set the timeout value to -1 so that the function will never timeout. This solution should resolve the timeout error being thrown but may not work with your system's requirements.

What kind of advice is this???

The OP obviously has a real issue where the equipment has gotten out of sync with the software somehow.  What this will succeed is make the OP's application lock up.  This is bad advice.  Never, EVER ignore a timeout!  Find out what's wrong and deal with it.

This is through a USB port, so make certain that the USB port isn't going to sleep on you in the middle of your testing.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 3 of 5
(3,675 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VI_Joe

If you are feeling adventurous, try connecting to the DMM through GPIB, RS-232, and/or Ethernet (whatever the meter can actually handle).  If you still get the timeout, then there is a programming issue somewhere.  If is goes away, then it is likely a USB setting.  But it would be easier/faster to just check your USB power settings in the Windows Device Manager (make sure the power saving feature is turned off).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(3,670 Views)

Thanks for all of your excellent advice.  I found that USB power settings in the Windows Device Manager had been set to turn off the USB hub to conserver power.  I found that you haave to be logged on as administrator to be able to see the 'Power Management' tab in Device Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,640 Views)