LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Icon Editor Behavior

So I am seeing some strange behavior with the Icon Editor in 2015 32bit (have not tired 64) and wondering if others are.  I have seen it on two computers so its nothing local to a computer.  

When first opening the icon editor my normal work flow is to CTRL-A to select the entire area and hit Delete to clear it.  This gives me a clean slate to select one of my templates and make the icon I need.  In 2015 this does not seem to work.  CTRL-A seems to select everything but when I hit delete the dashed line used to select disapears but the existing icon remains.   If I take it a step further and use the Select tool to select the entire area I see the same behavior.  

2015-09-16 09_17_13-Clipboard.png

However if using the Select tool and I select some subset of the icon Delete works and the selected area is deleted.  By doing this several times I am able to clear the enitre icon.  So it apears the issue is only when the entire area of the icon is selected.   Anyone else see this behaivor?  Seems like a bug to me.

2015-09-16 09_19_05-Icon Editor (Untitled 2).png

Lukin
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,446 Views)

Do you have a particular layer selected when you do the delete? I think selecting a layer will only delete from that layer and if you have no layer selected it will delete from every layer?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,435 Views)

It looks like this behavior was introduced in LabVIEW 2014. I have filed CAR 546121 on the issue. As a workaround, you can go to the layers tab and click the icon layer and press the Delete key.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,432 Views)

As anothor work around, if you "Double Click" the selection tool you will be able to use the delete key to erase the entire icon.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,422 Views)

Sam:  I don't select a layer.  I can reproduce the behavior by opening a new VI, double clicking on the icon to open the editor, and then following the process I outlined above.  

Darren:  Thanks for the update and the work around does work.  That being said I wonder if it is the same problem.  When I try the same process on 2014SP1 the delte key works fine after CTRL-A producing a blank slate. 

Lukin
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,417 Views)

Son of a Gun!  I never knew that trick existed!  I've always just gone to the Layer Page (when opening a new Icon) to delete NI's Default layer.  I've demonstrated (to myself) that (in LV2012) if you select a Template for a new VI (with the default NI Icon visible) and do a Ctrl-A/Delete (or double-click-Selection/Delete), the overlying Default Icon vanishes and your "underlying" Template is revealed.  A great time-saver.

I also verified the 2015 behavior.  However, the "double-click-Selection/Delete" method didn't work for me -- I still need to go to the Layers tab, select the Default Icon layer, and delete it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,405 Views)

jamiva:  Nice little trick.  I did not know you could do that.  But it has the same issue.  It will select the entire area but when Delete is hit nothing happens.

Bob:  Ya its a handy little time saver.   Saves a few seconds everytime I make an icon. and every little bit helps.

Thanks for the interest everyone.

Lukin
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,393 Views)

If others haven't yet tried double clicking random things yet, you can also do this on the rectangle tool to make a border using the primary color, and change the font of a text layer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,376 Views)

Hi everyone,

CAR 546121 was fixed in LabVIEW 2015 SP1. You can find a download for it here:

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-development-system-2015-sp1/5778/en/

Message 9 of 10
(4,102 Views)

@sassyaspy wrote:

Hi everyone,

CAR 546121 was fixed in LabVIEW 2015 SP1. You can find a download for it here:

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-development-system-2015-sp1/5778/en/

That explains why I do not see this behavior.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,084 Views)