LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Labview Switch Executive Palette

Hi,

I was running 2012 Labview and Teststand with Switch Executive's Palette being used within Labview to connect my routes for my matrix card.  I received my 2013 upgrade, and finally got around to upgrading.  All of the 2012 Labview VIs I created using the Switch Exec. Palette now can no longer find their appropiate Switch Executive vi (ex. niSE Connect.vi, etc...) in 2013.  Nor is the Switch Exec Palette showing up in Labview 2013 under Measurements as it did in 2012.  Why has this happened, and how can I get around it?  I tried already re-installing everything.  My Switch Executive is version 3.6.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,358 Views)

You are trying to use a version of Switch Executive on a version of LabVIEW that is not supported.  Update your Switch Executive and when you install it, it will likely show you what versions it will be installed with.  If you have 2012 and 2013 of LabVIEW installed, then the newer Switch Executive will detect this and install the palette on both versions.

Note that before you go and update Switch Executive you may want to read the release notes for the newer version and skim through looking for things that may effect your already written application.  NI is very good about supporting older functions in the newer versions of software, expectially through a version of LabVIEW or 2.  If you had developed code in Switch Executive for LabVIEW 8.x and you were attempting to update I would be a little more careful.

EDIT:  Here are the 3.6 release notes and it states how only up to 2012 is supported.  That being said I couldn't find a newer version of Switch Executive to download.

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//switches/switch_executive/v3.6/readme.htm

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,345 Views)

Switch Exectutive 3.6 is the latest version.  It is currently shipping with LabVIEW 2013.  It has installed just fine on my system with 2011, 2012, and 2013.  Try installing the latest and see what happens.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,321 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Switch Exectutive 3.6 is the latest version.  It is currently shipping with LabVIEW 2013.  It has installed just fine on my system with 2011, 2012, and 2013.  Try installing the latest and see what happens.

How is that possible?  Is the release notes I linked to incorrect?  It only states up to LabVIEW 2012 is supported.  Did NI make new release notes for 3.6 that claim it supports 2013 somewhere else but keep the rev the same?  Usually I would expect NI to release some kind of update (like 3.6.1) to support new versions even if there are no new features.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,307 Views)

Hooovahh,

For NI Switch Executive we only send out a release every few years, and create installers that are not completely version specific. For example, if you try to install NI Switch Executive 3.6 on a machine with LabVIEW 2013 installed, it should say something like "LabVIEW (Latest Version) Support" in the feature selection menu of the installer. The reason why this is not listed in the readme is that the installer should work for the next few releases, but we don't want to list support for specific versions without being able to test those versions [Switch Executive came out in 2012 and 2013 was not available for testing at that time].

Other products do not have the "Latest Version" support and require ".1" releases. 

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,295 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  I have switch executive 3.6 installed on 2 machines now with both have Labview 2012 & 13 installed.  I can see the palette in 2012, but not in 2013.  I have ran updates on my software thru NI Max to see if there are any updates, and have installed all updates showing.  Do I need to un-install and then re-install Switch Exec 3.6?  2013 Labview was installed after the S.Ex 3.6 was installed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,281 Views)

Hello TesterABC,

As a LabVIEW add-on, the Switch Executive needs to be installed after the LabVIEW development environment you're using to work properly.  You'll need to modify/repair your Switch Executive installation for the palettes to show up in 2013, refer to these KnowledgeBases:

Order of Installation for Multiple National Instruments Hardware and Software Products

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/27C92C1D28A8B0B686257A3F0064270B

How Do I Uninstall or Repair National Instruments Software?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AC6ED75D3D93375686256E8E00245F0D?OpenDocument

You'll want to select the "modify" option in the NI Software Wizard and as Frank-L mentioned previously, ensure that the "Latest Version" option is selected.  You shouldn't need to uninstall and reinstall.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,271 Views)

FYI this setup has totally screwed me. I have 2014 installed; the installer only has the support options for "latest version," 2012, 2011 ... 2009. So, there is no way to install support for 2013. So, it keeps putting it in the LV2014 vi.lib I assume when 2015 comes out if NI Switch isn't updated now no support can be installed for 2014 or 2013, just latest version 2012...2009. I really hope I'm wrong. In the meantime I'll uninstall LV 2014, unless there is some registry key indidcating to the installer what the latest version is.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,152 Views)

Don't uninstall your latest version of LabVIEW.

The code isn't saved in the new version until it is actually used and then saved.  So I just copy the vi.lib\SwitchExecutive folder to the previous versions that I need to use it with.  Never had an issue.  It should even be autodetected for the palettes next time the copied to version of LabVIEW is loaded.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,147 Views)

I tried that but test stand crapped out and couldn't load the VI, although I could open it in LabVIEW and run it fine. I'll dig into it more later I suppose. Thanks for the advice; long day!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,144 Views)