From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 LabVIEW Eval/Training MVC Tutorial Needs IMAQ but Vision needs LV 2011 installed in order to install.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using 2012 LabVIEW in Evaluation mode for Training in order to find a position using LabVIEW. An MVC Tutorial looks like a great example and I can open the first VI, MVC Starter.vi, but when I try to open the project that includes VIs up to MVC OOP Advanced with Commands and Factory.vi, it Needs IMAQ VIs. But when I try to Install Vision in order to get the IMAQ VIs, it needs LV 2011 installed in order to install Vision and will not proceed with the install of Vision/IMAQ.

After searching the NI site for days for LVOOP answers I have found this tutorial that could be helpful, if it will actually work.

The Vision installer probably should work with 2012 but the installer was not setup to work with 2011 or later.

Also, I have not found a good description of what the MVC "framework" is all about.

I have used LabVIEW since the early '90s, but not since my NI Suite that included LV 8 and LVOOP about 2007. I desperately need a step by step "how-to and why" for LVOOP, ACTOR, etc. I am through the Core I and into the Core II training manuals for certification, but need to find LabVIEW work ASAP and do not have the $2,500 to upgrade my NI Suite or the $10,000 for training or time to complete certification now.

It seems that every time I start making progress with NI and LabVIEW, I hit a roadblock. Nothing ever seems to work as advertised.

Please HELP!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,791 Views)

You are probably using the wrong installer for Vision. Have you used the installer for 2012?

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,756 Views)

Hello 1LMR,

You should be able to install Vision 2012, which is compatible with LabVIEW 2012. Here is a link to the most current version of the Vision Development Module 2012 SP1.

I agree with you that the MVC tutorial would be a useful example, and I wanted to check which example you were using. I found this Model View Controller in LVOOP which I was able to run using LabVIEW 2012 and Vision 2012.

Regarding a good explanation of what the MVC Framework is, it is a framework that breaks a standard Events/UI/Processing into seperate components to be called when needed as parameters change. Here is a quick explanation in our help documentation, this is specific to the DSC module but the MVC pattern is the same. Model-View-Controller Design Pattern (DSC Module)

I hope that this is helpful, and I wish you the best on your training!

Cheers,

-Joel

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,754 Views)

Joel-P,

Thank you for all your great information. 

However, when I clicked your link: "Vision Development Module 2012 SP1.", I  was taken to an Error Page that said "An Unexpected Error has occurred.  Sorry, your request failed.  A notification has been sent to the development team to investigate. 

•  Exception ID: 72A898B6  Please click the Back button on your browser.".

Also, I don't quite understand your "You should be able to install Vision 2012, which is compatible with LabVIEW 2012." and Adnan Zafar's "You are probably using the wrong installer for Vision. Have you used the installer for 2012?".  The Vision download path I took lead me to believe that the site would use the correct installer in order to download the latest Vision version.  I do not remember a choice of version or installer.

Yes, the "Model View Controller in LVOOP" is the tutorial I am working through.  The one or two paragraphs of explanation provided in the "Tutorial" describe an ingenious progression from the basic VI to the more advanced VIs, but only the advanced LVOOP certified Architect could understand the why and how, leaving the seemingly intended user (like me) in the dark.

Further, the " Model-View-Controller Design Pattern (DSC Module)" was very helpful regarding what MVC is, but gave little insight into why and when it should be used (what are its benefits as opposed to the alternatives?).  Following the various included links was very informative (as regards shared Variables and SVEs) but used statements like "Design a model", "Design a view" and "Design one or more controllers" with NO LINK to HOW-TO.

What are the characteristic of a model, a view, or a controller and how does the "division of labor" so represented improve the functionality and maintainability of code designed with the MVC pattern?

If I have somehow "missed the obvious" and all these points have been properly addressed in a way I should have found and understood, I apologize and would very much appreciate your pointing out my oversights.  But, if I have not "missed the obvious", please escalate my concerns up the line to someone who can address these issues and make NI "a site to behold".

Thank you Joel and Adnan for your time, patients, help and expertise.

Regards,

1LMR

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,743 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 1LMR

First, you need to determine what version of LabVIEW you have: 2011, 2011 SP1, 2012, 2012 SP1. You can find this by opening LabVIEW and navigating to Help -> About LabVIEW...

Then, you download and install the compatible version of the Vision Development Module. Here is the link that you should use:

http://www.ni.com/downloads/products/ (search for Vision Development Module).

Also, there is a driver software that's available that is called Vision Acquisition Software. But, if you are not interacting with hardware at this point, then you don't need it. Here is a better explanation:

What is the Difference Between Vision Software VDM, VBAI, and VAS?

Regarding MVC, I am no expert but you should know what a MVC is and understand LabVIEW and its features well before you delve into that example of MVC in LabVIEW. My recommendation is to not try to understand/learn MVC for the first time by looking at that example. More information can be found by searching on any search engine. Here is the Wikipedia article.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,734 Views)

Adnan,

Thank you for your help.

The link you provided for Vision worked and I can now open the subject MVC project.

Also, I have been flip-flopping between professions and did not realize that MVC is an industry standard, not just an NI thing.  I use Wikipedia often, but did not think to look to it for an overview of MVC.  ThanX!

Regards,

1LMR

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,713 Views)