From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 Labview executable on Windows 8.1

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings,

My development computer is a Windows 8.1 machine with LabView 2010 Professional. I created a project and published an executable successfully. Obviously it works on my development system.

However I have another Windows 8.1 machine (fresh install, nothing on it). First I installed Labview runtime engine 2013 because (a) I thought it would be backwards compatible for earlier versions, and (b) it states it supports Windows 8 OS. Unfortunately when I tried to launch the executable it gave me the following error:

Unable to locate the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine.

......requires a version 2010 (or compatible) Labview run-time engine. Please contact the vendor of [program name] to correct this problem.

Okay, so I uninstalled 2013 runtime engine and rebooted. Then I installed 2010 thinking that's what it needed.

Gives me the same exact error as above.

I've seen similar windows 8 issues, but nothing I could find about this.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,842 Views)
Solution
Accepted by chazzzmd78
Why install the 2013 runtime when you have a 2010 application? You must also install the correct bitness of the runtime.

Why didn't you simply create an installer?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,836 Views)

Again, I thought it would be backwards compatible, oh well.

Bitness:

My dev computer is WIN 8.1 32 bit and LabView is 32 bit

Deployment computer is WIN 8.1 64 bit

So should it be 2010 RT 32 bit?

Cause I've already done that and it still can't be found.

Any ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,828 Views)
Yes, use the 32 bit runtime.

Not sure what else to try if you finally have the correct runtime installed. You might try cleaning everything off and building an actual installer.
Message 4 of 10
(3,825 Views)

Wow!  What a revolutionary concept! (Sarcastic). An installer to install software components of an application you develop!  NI should be providing tools to do this new thing.  Oh... They DO?  And its not really a new idea?...I thought I had a flash of geniusSmiley Sad

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 10
(3,813 Views)

Wow......kudos (no really I'm giving you a kudos) for puffing your chest (and mouth) out  behind  the internet and having absolutely no real contribution at all. Must be nice sitting on the that high perch above everyone else. It's funny, I wonder if people like you would say the things you say when say.....maybe it's a former green beret with tats up and down his arm (yes we do matriculate to the technology industries). Believe it or not, one may develop in Labview for over a decade and not have to deploy executables of any kind. How silly of me to branch out and try new things.....thanks for teaching me Jeff Bohrer.

In regards to why people may not go straight to the installer. This is a single standalone application dedicated for 1 machine only (ever). It seemed (initially anyway) that going through the process of an installer for a single machine would be unecessary overhead, especially since you can build an executable and run it with a runtime engine. Although, after reading everyone's valuable contributions I will now build an installer and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone for the contributions. Have a great weekend.

Chazzzmd

Message 6 of 10
(3,797 Views)

Dennis,

Thanks man for the recommendation of building an installer. It worked like a charm.

I think my problem was that the RT was being installed in the wrong directory for a 64-bit system (x86) which caused the "can't find RT engine" error prompt.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend.

Chazzzmd

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,787 Views)
Glad it worked.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,783 Views)

Green Berret.  I should have figured.  Thank you for your service-  from an old Navy Special Forces vet.  But, you don't have to hit a sailor with a brick to get his attention.  Green Beret's, Sometimes they miss the obvious even when it is mentioned twice.

You are welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,781 Views)

For what it is worth,  you probably could have flailed, twitched and flagilated for a few days and delivered the one-off system.  The installer build specification method is far superior.  Even the help file tells you this.  After a decade or so you should be able to read the help file.... Or, can you work with LabVIEW for that long without learning to read the helps?  Yup, I am very happy to be standing on the backs of those that came before me.  And happy to further their efforts!

My apologies for coming off as too chesty,  I was not wearing my medals and, it is a natural compensation.  PM me if you wish to further debate the issue of "tattoos are better than medals as chest protection devices.

And yes, since my contact info is public, hiding behind an alias and offering veiled threats is ,..... Even you must have a deregotive word for that!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,717 Views)