LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 DAQmx drivers remove 8.2 drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently installed Labview 2010 and I just noticed that I no longer have DAQmx drivers in 8.2. I need to support older applications in my 8.2 environment. Do I just need to reinstall the older DAQmx drivers? Past experience tells me that this will get blocked by the newer drivers.

--

Brian Rose
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,059 Views)

You can only have one version of DAQmx. This page shows the compatibility between DAQmx versions and LabVIEW versions. It does not show LabVIEW 2010, but as you can see, LabVIEW 8.2 is supported by several newer versions.

You should read the release notes for the DAQmx version that you installed to see what versions of LabVIEW are supported. During installation the installer should automatically detect which versions of LabVIEW you have installed and install the DAQmx VIs. Try re-running the installer.

Message 2 of 6
(3,050 Views)

This shows 2010 and DAQmx 9.2 is not supported with LabVIEW 8.2. Looks like you could use 9.1.5.

Message 3 of 6
(3,041 Views)

@Dennis Knutson wrote:

This shows 2010 and DAQmx 9.2 is not supported with LabVIEW 8.2. Looks like you could use 9.1.5.

<sarcasm start>

Good thing NI is keeping track of the pages they have where they post this information otherwise it would get real confusing.

<sarcasm end>

Message 4 of 6
(3,031 Views)

This really stinks.

I have to support older applications that are created using the older tool sets. Normally, when I need to add a feature to an older program, I open up the development environment, edit, and then when I go to validate it, I need only do some simple regression testing to test the changes that I made.

Now I will have to import the application into the newer version of Labview, which means that instead of a small set of tests, I have to execute the entire validation protocol, because my compiler changed. This can eat up significant amounts of time. I also need to allocate more time to each project to recode other aspects of the software that have changed (such as the report toolkit).

I work in an industry where I need to maintain my software for 5 years or more. Ideally I would be able to have all my development environments on one machine, but it looks like I will need to have to have multiple machines to support more than a few development environments. I really hope that someone at NI reads this and realizes that destroying the old environments causes a lot of headaches for some of us. I guess I should put in a feature request that there be multiple versions of DAQmx allowed on a machine, since that is the root of the problem.

--

Brian Rose
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,020 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mister_Rose

Hi Brian,

I'm glad you bring this up--it sounds like there are two potential product suggestions to be made here:

1.  DAQmx ADE support for older versions of LabVIEW

2.  The ability to have multiple versions of DAQmx installed simultaneously

Due to the nature of DAQmx being both a hardware driver as well as an API, #2 is probably a bit unfeasible.  I see #1 as a more interesting starting point for discussion.  What if you had the ability to upgrade the core and API components to a version compatibile with the latest LabVIEW, but at the same time keep API support for older LV versions not officially supported by the latest DAQmx?

I do understand the situation that you face, and I wish there was an easy solution.  For your particular set of ADEs (LV 8.2 through LV 2010) you should be able to use DAQmx 9.1.5, but once LV 2011 comes out (for example) you'll have the same problem again. 

I'd encourage you to take the time to post either (or both) of the above two suggestions to the Idea Exchange as I'd be interested to continue any discussion there.

@smercurio_fc wrote:

Good thing NI is keeping track of the pages they have where they post this information otherwise it would get real confusing.

Speaking of confusing information, of the two seemingly identical KnowledgeBase articles one mistakenly shows that DAQmx 8.9 supports LV 2009 (8.9.5 was in fact the first version compatible with LV 2009).  The information will be corrected soon and the KBs will be consolidated into a single article.  I suppose it never hurts to double-check the readme for this type of information for a particular version of DAQmx you are interested in to be on the safe side.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,001 Views)