LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Things I Hate About LabVIEW

@joelong wrote:

[blah, blah, blah...] Labview is extorting money any way it can from its users. 

You keep using that word.  I don't think it means what you think it means!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 11 of 19
(2,813 Views)

A brief explanation of one thing you hate about LabVIEW

The size of the runtime. Making an empty installer with just the VISA runtime and the Labview 2012 runtime gives me a file size of 232 MB.

A brief explanation of why you hate it

It makes it a hassle to distribute applications and it takes forever to install on a new computer. It doesnt make any sense why it needs to be so big. For example, Python's runtime is 14 MB. It also seems very invasive on the computer, installing services and background processes. 

Do you know of a solution or workaround?

None that I know of. A solution would be for the developers to design a package system so that not as much stuff needs to be included in the runtime installer. 

Edit: Oh just saw this is an extremely old necro not a current call for constructive criticism. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(2,806 Views)

There's a difference between a word document and a program.  If Word can't convert downward you may lose some fancy format - not a big deal.  If the old version of a program language doesn't have the feature of the new program you may lose something far more valuable - and not know it until a catastrophe happens.  It is far better to open the program on the new platform - see what it is supposed to be, convert down from there and see if it is compatible.  (Do other program platforms - C, C++, ... auto-convert new versions to the old?)

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(2,795 Views)

@LesHammer wrote:

Do other program platforms - C, C++, ... auto-convert new versions to the old?

This isn't a useful comparison, although I'm sure someone will argue that it is. Other programming environments store their source files as plain text which can be opened in any text editor, even one written decades earlier. Many other programming environments separate the editor and compiler completely - especially in C and C++. There's no auto-conversion - if a program uses a feature of a compiler that isn't supported by an older version, an attempt to compile with the older version produces an error.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(2,742 Views)

I totally agree with your points about the bloated size of the run-time.

http://www.medicollector.com
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(2,711 Views)

Heart LabVIEW .Smiley Very Happy

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(2,667 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(2,660 Views)

@joelong wrote:

btw, the conversion board will convert one of two for you at its mercy.

Yes, that is life. But, does it means, that you will be OK if you can't open your friends docs written in word 2012 with your old word?
 Some thing here. You can't open your colleague's labview 2013 design with your old labview, and you are OK with it?

You cant open a document written in word 2012 in word 2009. Next.

Not only can you not play a DirectX 11 game on a DirectX9 installation, but also not the opposite, a DX11 installation cant play a DX9 game. So regarding the installation size (other post) you're also installing your "direct X" every time, do you really need to do that, or can you make another installer build without extra software? (you can and the installer will be ~15Mb in total)

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(2,653 Views)

@ngarneski wrote:

A brief explanation of one thing you hate about LabVIEW

The size of the runtime. Making an empty installer with just the VISA runtime and the Labview 2012 runtime gives me a file size of 232 MB.

Ha, I can't argue with that one:  http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/LabVIEW-App-Builder-Should-Determine-and-Minimize-Dist...

Edit: Oh just saw this is an extremely old necro not a current call for constructive criticism. 

No, just a new user finding out that the world doesn't owe him everything he desires.  First time posting too.   Smiley Sad

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(2,578 Views)