From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Drive Distance" in Direct Mode

I have a pen plotter program that I've come back to.  It works virtually.  The Vi sends out: a Pen Up or Down number, an X axis number, and a Y axis number. These last two numbers are distances for lines that make up letters.  I don't know if I have an up to date LabVIEW add on for NXT Direct Mode Programming.

My vi might work if I could use a couple of "Drive Distance Motors"  in Direct Mode.  Do they exist?  Also,  What is the limit on how big a vi can be?  How many structures can one use ?  Is memory the only consideration?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,847 Views)

Hi dunnor,

A new version of the MINDSTORMS Module is available for download here: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15615

What type of motor are you controlling? In the previous version of the MINDSTORMS NXT Module, the drive distance function for LEGO motors was available on the I/O>>Complete>>LEGO Motors pallette. The drive distance function for third party motors was available on the Third Party Motors palette. In the newer version, both share a drive distance function in the I/O>>Motors palette. 

A direct mode program is one with a PC target. There is no limit for the size or number of structures in a direct mode program. A remote mode program is limited by the available memory on the brick.

- Gary

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,821 Views)
You asked about the type of motor. I've used the three servo motors that come with the Lego NXT Mindstorm Education Set. I wrote the attached program for a Lego Pen Plotter I saw on YOUTUBE. I'll see if I can attach a picture. The name of the designer of the Pen Plotter is with my saved emails. I regret I cannot give you his name while I'm writing this. If you need it let me know.

Thanks for reading and responding to my message
N.D.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,810 Views)

What version of the LabVIEW Module for LEGO MINDSTORMS are you using? You can find it in the Help menu.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,798 Views)

I have LabVIEW 2009 student version 9.0.  I don't know what version the NXT LavVIEW Add ON is.  My nephew sometimes programs in the G software that came with our NXT Mindstorms Education Set.  The LabVIEW Add On came from a CD that came with a LabVIEW NXT Textbook by Michael Gaspri (If I remember his name right?).  I'm pretty sure I update once after I installed the CD software.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,784 Views)

I went to Help and looked under About NXT Module, and it said, "NI LabVIEW 2009 NXT Module.

I sounds like an update might have what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your time

ND

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,781 Views)

Yeah, I'm not sure how to drive a distance in the 2009 version. Sorry about that.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,769 Views)