From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't use bluetooth with toolkit on Macintosh

It was bundled.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(4,672 Views)

@John Field wrote:
To get Bluetooth working on the Mac, we had to add a callback into LabVIEW from the driver. This was added to 8.2 since 8.0 and 7.1 had already shipped by this point. This callback wasn't needed for Windows.

There is an additional issue with Intel Macs. We don't have a universal binary of the MINDSTORMS driver ready yet, so even in 8.2, you have to run in emulation mode (using Rosetta) to communicate with the NXT. Unfortunately, Apple didn't put Bluetooth support into Rosetta, so there is no BT support on Intel-based Macs for now.

- john

John,
Has this issue about Bluetooth communication on the Intel Mac and Labview V8.2 been resolved yet? The above post was over a year ago.  I installed LabView V 8.2.1 professional on an Intel MacBook running OS 10.4, Installed the NXTToolkit, Installed the 1.0.1 patch. Mass compiled  LabView, Mass compiled the toolkit, and mass compiled again after installing the patch.  My VI will load, finding everything it needs and shows  the white arrow -- ready to go. When I run it, as soon as I get to the part of the program that trys to find the NXT I'm connected to  Labview crashes. I don't get any error messages, LabView is suddenly not there.

The VI was originally written in V 7.1 on a Windows machine. On a Mac running Labview 8.5 (full version) it starts up and runs just fine.

Any comments would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(4,388 Views)

Has this issue about Bluetooth communication on the Intel Mac and Labview V8.2 been resolved yet? The above post was over a year ago.  I installed LabView V 8.2.1 professional on an Intel MacBook running OS 10.4, Installed the NXTToolkit, Installed the 1.0.1 patch. Mass compiled  LabView, Mass compiled the toolkit, and mass compiled again after installing the patch.  My VI will load, finding everything it needs and shows  the white arrow -- ready to go. When I run it, as soon as I get to the part of the program that trys to find the NXT I'm connected to  Labview crashes. I don't get any error messages, LabView is suddenly not there.

The VI was originally written in V 7.1 on a Windows machine. On a Mac running Labview 8.5 (full version) it starts up and runs just fine.

Any comments would be appreciated,

Are you running 8.2.1 as a PowerPC application using Rosetta or as an x86 application?
Joel Sumner
NI-Shanghai
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(4,364 Views)
I'm not entirely clear on the difference this was the first Intel Mac I've touched, but somewhere I read that I needed to go to the Get Info on 8.2.1 and check the Use Rosetta box, which I have done. Actually I've tried this both ways (box checked and unchecked) with essentially the same results.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(4,361 Views)
I just tried this on a test machine. Here's what worked

Mac Mini 1.8GHz Intel
OS X 10.4.11
LabVIEW 8.2
Not launching in Rosetta
NXT Toolkit
Fantom 1.1.1f0

I was able to use the NXT Terminal to connect using Bluetooth and pair with a brick. Then I could load an example from the examples/NXTToolkit folder and run it from the terminal.

I also tried a  Direct Commands example and, after using the terminal to disconnect from the NXT, was able to run the direct commands example without problem.

Here's something you can check.  Go to Apple System Profiler and click on the Software->Frameworks item on the left and scroll down to look for Fantom.  What version string appears when you select it?  The version I have is "1.1.1f0" dated November 2007.

Joel Sumner
NI-Shanghai
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(4,345 Views)
Joel,
Thanks for the tips.

This is the configuration on my Mac

Mac OS X 10.4.11
Processor 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
MacBook1,1
Boot rom version MB11.0061.B03
Lego Mindstorms NXT driver 1.0.2f0
Fantom version f0
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Processor 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
MacBook1,1
Boot rom version MB11.0061.B03

Lego Mindstorms NXT driver 1.0.2f0
Fantom version f0
If I run without the Open in Rosetta box checked the program loads. When I try to open my VI it asks me for the location of
:fantom.framework which I cannot find. If I ignore this the VI comes up broken down at that level.

If I run with the Open in Rosetta box checked the program loads. When I open the VI it comes up with a white run arrow but when I try to run it, it blows labview off the air.

It looks to me like the main problem is the version of fantom and I need the fantom version you have. Where can I get it?
Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(4,321 Views)
Try downloading the 10.5 firmware update from
http://mindstorms.lego.com/support/updates/

I'm not 100% sure if the new driver is in there or not.  If it's not, let me know.  The new driver is definitely on the Mindstorms 1.1 CD.
Joel Sumner
NI-Shanghai
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(4,304 Views)