LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is .rxe file extension

Solved!
Go to solution
Can someone please tell me what the .rxe file extension is?  I received some files from the NI Standalone NXT robot (Switzerland) and their files were compressed with rar.  When I uncompressed them they were the .rxe files.  I cannot find what type of files these are.  I am completely new to Labview, so perhaps they are some type of Labview file?
Thank you, Jon Hauris
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(20,932 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hauris

RXE files are generated by the LEGO MINDSTORMS programming environment (also called NXT-G; it is based on LabVIEW but not equivalent).  These files contain binary data representing a MINDSTORMS program.  To open them, you need the LEGO software.

This comparison may also help clarify:

*.rxe is the binary file format for LEGO MINDSTORMS (NXT-G)

*.vi is the binary file format for LabVIEW

*.doc is the binary file format for Microsoft Word

------
James Blair
NI R&D
Message 2 of 5
(20,925 Views)
I'm sorry guys to bug you with this question but I am very very new to NXT (I just got mine 2 days ago) and I am curious about programming languages and files. I found this question about .rxe files and while I understand that this is the binary format, I am not sure I understand how to open them. In the last reply,

James B. wrote:

RXE files are generated by the LEGO MINDSTORMS programming environment (also called NXT-G; it is based on LabVIEW but not equivalent).  These files contain binary data representing a MINDSTORMS program.  To open them, you need the LEGO software.

What LEGO software are you referring to? I tried to use the LEGO Mindstorms NXT that comes in the package but all it seems to know how to open are .rbt files.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(20,696 Views)

You're right -- my mistake. NXT-G (the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Software) stores its binary data in the RBT format.  Once you have compiled one of those programs into bytecode and downloaded it to the NXT, the file on the NXT has the RXE extension.  So, you can't "open" an RXE file with any software.  The only useful thing you can do is download it to an NXT and run it from there.

To correct my analogy:

*.vi is the binary format for LabVIEW programs.

*.rbt is the binary format for NXT-G programs.

*.exe are binary files that contain low-level (assembly) instructions that are only understood by Microsoft Windows.

*.rxe are binary files that contain low-level (bytecode) instructions that are only understood by the NXT firmware.

------
James Blair
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(20,622 Views)
Thanks a lot for your answer, James.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(20,620 Views)