LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load Lego software using a student logon

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello all, I have been trying to get the factory shipped Lego software to work over our network (we are a school and are using s RM CC3 Network). I have been able to get the package to work correctly for an admin user (full access to the local computer), however when trying to us this software as a student I am getting the following error. "Error Loading "fantom.dll"A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. This error appears as the software is loading then it crashes out before opening the main program. If someone could give me an idea what permission need to be given where or a solution on how to resolve this issue? I have not downloaded the toolkit or any extra software as of yet because if it is possible I would prefer to get this working with the standard software.  Many thanks in advanced, Richard
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(12,232 Views)

Fantom is an essential piece of driver software that allows MINDSTORMS to communicate with the NXT.  It should be included on the software installation CD, so no additional downloads are necessary.  The DLL you mentioned gets installed to the system directory (c:\windows\system32 on a standard system).  "Student" users must have the ability to load files from this directory (they don't need write access) for MINDSTORMS to work properly.

I'm a little confused as to how the "network" factors into your situation.  Are you trying to run the installation over the network?  Are you expecting users to run MINDSTORMS from an installed network location?  If the second, I believe you'll still need to install Fantom on each individual system where students might connect an NXT.

------
James Blair
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(12,225 Views)

Hi James, apologies for the late reply. Yes we are installing the software via an MSI distribution method over the network. I have checked the MSI and it does contain “Fantom.dll” file.

The software is working if you are logged with Administrator rights to the workstation, which gives you full access to the workstations hardware and software directories. However if a student logs on to the same workstation the error previously explained above occurs. This is because a student user has restricted access to the C: drive and access to only certain areas of the C: drive to allow running application files that are required for programs to work.

From the testing that I have done it seems that either the Lego software is trying to create a temp file somewhere while loading which the student does not have the rights to which is causing the software to crash while loading. This if possible is the information that I need to possible get this software to work. Does “Fantom.dll” call other .dll files this could be the possible reason why? If I log back on as an admin the software works without issues and loads fine and communicates with the NXT module. Upload and download of files and activation of programs works from computer controlled requests. Cheers Richard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(12,210 Views)

Hey Richard:

I've installed MINDSTORMS several times manually from a network location without problems.  It also sounds like things checked out when you examined the installation files, so I think for now we can set the "network install" variations aside and focus on the restricted student permissions your school has imposed.

Fantom does install and depend on a few other libraries to load (most notably, NI-VISA).  Most of these files are in the same directory as fantom.dll, c:\windows\system32.  Fantom also depends on files in the c:\windows\system32\drivers directory and the c:\vxipnp directory.  If student accounts don't have access to those directories, that may be the cause of the problem.

You haven't mentioned so far what operating system you're on.  I assume some Windows variant, since you mentioned DLLs and MSIs.  Can you tell me the specific version of Windows the student computers are running (XP/Vista, service packs, 32- or 64-bit)?

------
James Blair
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(12,194 Views)
Hi James,
The whole school is running windows XP 32-bit with SP2, from the information that you have provided regarding “C:\vxipnp\” this could be where the issue is occurring because students do not have access to “C:\”. When I am back at work I will make the allowance for this directory to be allowed and see if that enables the software to load correctly for a student.
I will update you when I have the results.
Many thanks
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(12,182 Views)

Hi James,

Sorry for the late replay I have not had chance to re-visit this until yesterday.

Right this is what I have done so far:

I have given the following folder and subfolders permission to run anything and everything:

C:\VXIPNP\*

C:\Program Files\LEGO Software\*

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\*

C:\Program Files\LEGO Software\LEGO MINDSTORMS Edu NXT\engine\*

C:\WINDOWS\system32\fantom.dll

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\*

N:\LEGO Creations\*

However even after going all of the above the software still does not load for a student.

I am not out of ideas, I also gave access to the whole C:\ but this made no difference.

Any further thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Richard
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(12,083 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Damadar

Hello, we have resolved the issue, we have installed the software a differernt way and this now seems to be working correctly there could have been somthing wrong with the installation after all. This was not flaged because it worked for an admin.

Cheers for your help tho.

Soluition here :http://communities.rm.com/forums/posts.aspx?postID=45586&postRepeater1-p=2#58046 by Alex Hart

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(12,079 Views)
I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem!  Unfortunately, your link to the solution seems to require registration and login.  As I'm curious what the solution is, but don't have any other reason to view the RM forums, would you mind providing a summary?
------
James Blair
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(12,046 Views)

Hi James,

Here is the copy of the post that i said about:

"The Setup file for Lego Mindstorms NXT comes with a silent installer. The only reason for needing administrator is to install the program, which is the way all programs are installed.
Create a package folder structure manually, then copy the contents of the CD to the folder i.e. Lego Mindstorms NXT > V1.0.0.0> Under this folder.
One of the folders copied accross should be called 'Bin', in that folder theres a file called silent_install.txt. Copy this file to the same location as the setup.exe and edit the information such as Name, Company and SerialNo, under the [UserInfo] section. At the bottom of the file delete the directories section all together and save it
Copy the Silent_install.txt and name it SilentUninstall.txt change under the [Features] section all from Default to Absent.
Create an Ini file called Lego Mindstorm NXT.ini and enter the following information

[Package]
Description=Lego Mindstorms NXT
Version=1.0.0.0
OS=5.WS
EXEFile=Setup.exe
AddCommand=silent_install.txt /r:n /q /AcceptLicenses yes
UninstallEXEFile=Setup.exe
UninstallCommand=silent_uninstall.txt /r:n /q /AcceptLicenses yes
Reboots=1

You will need to make another package to add a My Documents folder to the local service user so that would be located in "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\My Documents". Otherwise it wont install and will show an error looking for the local service\My Documents folder.

Alex  "

Some of the information wont be relevant due to that its need for installation setting on an RM network.

Hope this helps and thanks again.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(12,026 Views)

In searching for help on why I can launch Robolab 2.9 perfectly fine when I am logged in under my account (as administrator) but when I log off allowing the student computer to auto log on as a student I can't get this program to launch and receive the following message:

Error loading "fantom.dll"

A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed

I have been googling all over the place finding a bunch of suggestions but nothing that makes sense as a possible fix.  This error is happening on every student computer in one of our school labs.  In this forum there were a link or two that go nowhere (probably too old). 

The computers are all Windows 7 64-bit .... I have even gone so far as to give "Users" and the "Student account" Administrator access for the Robolab & VXIPNP folder with no luck.  Since some years have gone by since this post, is it possible that someone has figure this out now and could help us out? CAJ

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(8,632 Views)