cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent install Lego Mindstorms

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!

I want to silent install the teacher edition of Lego Mindstorms EV3 Education. But I can't get it to work.

I use the commandline: setup.exe specfile /q /acceptlicenses yes /r:n

I've used this Specfile:

; --------------------------  How to use this file  ---------------------------------
;
; To run this installer in quiet mode:
; 1. Edit the information below to match your company information and install location.
; 2. Run : setup.exe <path to this file> /q /AcceptLicenses yes. Passing the value "yes"
;    to the /AcceptLicenses parameter indicates that you agree with the license agreements.
;    Alternatively, instead of /q, /qb can be used to run the installer in basic UI mode.
; 3. The installer will automatically restart your system after the installation is done.
;    To prevent the restart use the command line : setup.exe <path to this file> /r:n /q /AcceptLicenses yes
;
; For more information on installation automation visit www.ni.com/info and enter the infocode exdir3.

; --------------------------  Set feature states  ---------------------------------
;    The valid feature states are: Local, Absent, NoChange, Default
;    Local  - Install it (on the local hard drive). If already installed leave it installed.
;    Absent - Do not install it. If already installed uninstall it.
;    NoChange - Do not install it. If already installed, leave it installed.
;    Default is equivalent to not listing the feature in this file. The feature follows its default behavior.
;    To install EV3 in Student mode, remove the "EV3_EDU_Mode" setting on line 24 by deleting the entire line.

[Features]
LEGO_EV3_EDU_Feature.EV3.EDU.100=
EV3_EDU_Mode.EV3.EDU.MODE.100=

; --------------------------  Set install directories  ---------------------------------
; *** To use the default paths, remove the following section***

[Directories]
LEGO_EV3_EDU_Feature.EV3.EDU.100=

; --------------------------  Set general installation settings  ---------------------------------
[InstallationType]
;uncomment one of the following lines for student vs teacher install
;DefaultRadioButton=TeacherInstall
;DefaultRadioButton=StudentInstall

If I add =Local to the features-syntaxes it returns with an error when trying to install it, saying it is a bad syntax.

When I install it silent with the specfile, Lego Mindstorms installs the student edition.

If I try to create a new specfile with setup.exe /generatespecfile, the setup-process crashes.

So what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(13,354 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VibekeS

Apparently it depends on the version you are trying to install, thus you need to reflect that version in the Features section.  For example, I was trying to setup version 1.2.1 today and it was not working until I did the following:

LEGO_EV3_EDU_Feature.EV3.EDU.100=Local
EV3_EDU_Mode.EV3.EDU.MODE.100=Local

changed to

LEGO_EV3_EDU_Feature.EV3.EDU.121=Local
EV3_EDU_Mode.EV3.EDU.MODE.121=Local

And now the silent install works correclty.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(12,822 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

Lego gave me the same answer a while ago. I just forgot to put the answer in here, but now it is here, if anyone else run into the same issueSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(12,801 Views)