From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install on Mac, won't run

Just received and installed LV / Lego Mindstorms on a Mac running OS X 10.7. The installation seemed to proceed normally with no error messages. However, the software seems partially dysfunctional. 

I began the first tutorial where you create a Robot Project. Entered a name, and saw a "path preview", clicked "Create" button. No further progress past this point:

The "Robot Project Center" window did not appear as expected. It appears that no new files were created, and there is no folder called "Projects" in the NXT Robotics folder. The app then returns to the Getting Started window, and behaves as though I have done nothing.  I can't get any further with the new tutorial project. 

There is no uninstaller on the disc, and the instructions in "uninstall.txt" are complex, time-consuming, and perhaps dangerous. (I get nervous trying to make a lot of manual deletions in my root directory and system folders. I'm afraid of screwing something up accidentally.)

I'd appreciate help fixing this. I think I've gone about as far as I can. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(7,745 Views)

Hi Dennyc,

My first suggestion would be to check your system and make sure you meet these minimum requirements http://www.ni.com/labview/requirements/ .

Following that, can you create a VI or any other file?  Can you open any other example file?  Can you navigate to the examples folder and try to open them there?

Please try these out and let me know what you're able to accomplish.

Thanks,

Bobby Breyer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(7,724 Views)

Meets the system requirements: (Intel processor, 8GB of ram, OS X 10.7, tons of disc space)

Created a new "test" vi, with nothing in it. (I haven't been able to get through the tutorial yet.) It did produce a file called test.vi in the folder Labview data:NXT robotics.

I can open an example "peakxmpl.llb". This example seems to be acknowledging and responding to my inputs.

Perhaps not important, but we should remember: I reinstalled Labview, even though I never completed the uninstall of the app.I was getting hurried and impatient, and decided this was not a good condition for me to be hacking around in my root directory with Terminal. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(7,710 Views)

Hi Dennyc,

Can you tell me what version of LabVIEW you are using?

If the robot projet center wont open, please try opening the following vi on disk.

Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012/Targets/NXT/NXTToolkit/Robot Control Center/robot control center.vi

Check to see if that vi has a broken run arrow, and if so click on the broken run arrow and post a screenshot of the Error list dialog.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(7,707 Views)

LabView 12.0.1

In the folder Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012/Targets/, 

there is no /NXT or but there is an /NI. 

I found /NI/NXT/NXTToolkit/Robot Control Center/robot control center.vi

It opens and shows a run arrow. Doesn't appear broken. (It is an open outline arrow graphic. Clicking produces one error: "Failed to create directory for auto recovery VIs". Clicked OK and got:

"Error 7 occurred at Invoke Note in robot control center.vi"

"

Possible reason(s): LabVIEW: File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer."

I'll be in a class through Friday and won't be able to respond till after then.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(7,698 Views)

Hi Dennyc,

Sounds like the Robot Project Center is functional, but there must be an error creating the project on disk. Do you have write permissions to the NXT Robotics folder?

The default location is Documents\LabVIEW Data\NXT Robotics\Projects.

The Projects folder should be created the first time you create an NXT project.

As a workaround, I have attached a blank robot project you can use as a template. Just double click the lvrbt file and it should open in the Robot Project Center.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(7,688 Views)

my permissions are Read/Write on the Labview Data/NXT Robotics folder

I am still unable to create a new project and save it from the Labview/ Getting started screen, and this appears to be a malfunction. No error messages are delivered. 

However, the Blank Robot file works. I guess I can proceed from here. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(7,673 Views)

@dennyc wrote:

Just received and installed LV / Lego Mindstorms on a Mac running OS X 10.7. The installation seemed to proceed normally with no error messages. However, the software seems partially dysfunctional. 

I began the first tutorial where you create a Robot Project. Entered a name, and saw a "path preview", clicked "Create" button. No further progress past this point:

The "Robot Project Center" window did not appear as expected. It appears that no new files were created, and there is no folder called "Projects" in the NXT Robotics folder. The app then returns to the Getting Started window, and behaves as though I have done nothing.

I have the same problem on multiple MacBooks running 10.7.5.  All laptops exceed recommended requirements. Creating a new project does not create the default "Projects" nor a new Robot config file to work with. Labview is central to the course I am teaching, so finding a solution asap is paramount. Suggesstions are very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(7,563 Views)

Hi Babarji,

Does the default blank project file get created properly?  Also, it may be worth a shot to try to install LabVIEW in 32 bit mode ( http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773 ) to see if you get a different result (if time is critical).  

Regards,

Bobby Breyer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 9 of 18
(7,553 Views)

What happens when you guys install it? Does it work properly for you?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(7,548 Views)