From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXT as project explorer target

I'd like to use revision control for my VIs for NXT.

When I switch my target between "My Computer" and my NXT, the VI recompiles.  (I'm using LabVIEW 2009).

This is inconvenient for revision control, because if I don't save VIs in the same mode every time, the revision control will detect the recompile as a change.

If I always work targeted to My Computer, then I must open up another instance and synchronize the instances in order to deploy.

If I always work targeted to my NXT, then I must set that every time I open up every top-level VI I work on.

When working with an external target (such as a cRIO or Realtime PC), there is another portion of the project which is has a different target; when you open up VIs from that section, they will open up targeted to that target (as opposed to your computer).

I was hoping I could do something similar.

I'm comfortable with editing the lvproj file with a text editor.  In the tag <Item Name="My Computer" Type="My Computer"> I tried changing the Type attribute to "NXT", but LabVIEW said the file was corrupt.

Marshal Horn
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,472 Views)

Unfortunalty the NXT controller is not currently supported in the LabVIEW project, but I think you are not the only user who would want this type of feature. I would suggest 2 things.

1. You can reduce the number of superferlous revissions if disconnect from your code repositiry before editing then  only check it back in once you want to submit changes. This way if you need to move it to the CP and back 10 times durring editing you don;t create all of those copies. Depending on your source control tool this may be easy or difficult.

2. Make a product suggestion. I think adding the NXT in the LabVIEW project would make it easier to use, I would recomend that you post that idea on the LabVIEW Idea Exchange so you can give other users a chance to vote on it and add it to the product.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,463 Views)

Thank you for the response.

I'll see if I can accomplish it with VI scripting.

Marshal Horn
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,456 Views)

hello, is a thread with a little old, but that question always arises if we have a lego robot and want to program in LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,748 Views)