LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXT Terminal working slow

hi,

i dont know if my pc has an incompatibility issue but whenever i try to use nxt terminal to upload/download files between pc & nxt it operates so slow! it takes around a minute to let's say to delete a file then after this freezing of the nxt terminal block i can go on. any ideas????
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,196 Views)
Did you mass compile the NXT Toolkit folder after installing?
Try going to Tools->Advanced->Mass Compile...
Navigate to your LabVIEW directory (usually c:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5)
From there, go to vi.lib\addons\NXTToolkit then click the "Current Folder" button, then the "Mass Compile" button
It'll take a couple minutes, and will probably have a few warnings at the end which you can ignore.

The reason the mass compile is necessary is that the NXT Toolkit is built out of a bunch of VIs that need to be compiled and saved in your version of LabVIEW and for your platform (Mac/PC). If not mass compiled, the NXT Terminal takes a significant performance hit.

Let me know if that works out for you. If not, is it only slow when you use the upload/download from the NXT Files section, or is it slow compiling and downloading as well?

Brady Duggan
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,191 Views)

ok, i should have asked my question in more detail:

i use PC (HP Compaq 8710p Business Notebook, specifically. so the PC is strong enough)

i've mass compiled as instructed on NXT Toolkit's readme file. compiling and downloading is fast but whenever i try to check how much battery is left or want to delete or upload a file from NXT each click of a button takes minimum 1 minute and the NXT Terminal totally freezes.

i can again mass compile (as i already did 2 times), but i don't think that it will help.

there must be something else or the NXT Terminal "by its nature" works like this :mansad:

Message Edited by szemawy on 04-25-2008 02:12 PM

Message Edited by szemawy on 04-25-2008 09:16 PM

Message Edited by szemawy on 04-25-2008 09:17 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,186 Views)
If compiling and downloading is fast, then the mass compile did its job. (re-mass compiling won't change anything)

Couple of more questions:
Are you connecting using USB or Bluetooth? Bluetooth has much slower response times. I've also found that different Bluetooth dongles behave very differently. If you're using Bluetooth, let me know what kind and I can at least tell you if its one of the ones that we've had trouble with.

What version of LabVIEW are you using (7.1, 8.5)?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Brady

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,178 Views)
I use labview 8.5 and always USB connection (bluetooth becomes even more unbearable)
i don't know if it helps but i keep the batteries of the NXT pretty charged (minimum 6 volts) 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,171 Views)
I doubt that it is the root of your problem, but 6 volts on the batteries is almost dead.  In my experience the NXT starts becoming inaccurate below 7.5 volts and unreliable under 7.0.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,161 Views)
maybe it is the firmware, i'll try to update it from 1.04 to 1.05
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,154 Views)