LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail communication usingWiFi connection

Hi,

I would like to let my EV3 robot move around while reporting its position to the computer via WiFi. So there is the program on the EV3 and there supposed to be a monitor program on the PC. What is the easiest way to communicate data from the EV3 to the host PC via WiFi?

Actually I wanted to do using mail commands. But that doesn't work via WiFi. Any ideas? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,245 Views)

Hi,

Mailboxes work via WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,241 Views)

Thanks for you fast response.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Let's check:

On the EV3 side I use the "Send host mail" and on the PC side I use the "Read mailbox". Correct?

Actually I tried every combination but I only got a blank as reply. Is there any other setting I have to consider?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,238 Views)

aitschi,

Sorry I misread your initial question. You're right, there is no built in way for an EV3 to write to its own mailbox (which is what Send Host Mail is doing). That functionality is actually one of the features to be added in the update to the MINSTORMS Competition Toolkit which will be available at the beginning of September on ni.com/ftc.

For now, you can use mailboxes to communicate from the computer to the EV3. However, to communicate from the EV3 to the host computer you must use File I/O, which may be comparatively slow. Be on the lookout for the MINDSTORMS Competition Toolkit 2014, which will enable you to use your current approach.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,228 Views)

Thanks a lot for clarifying this matter. Now, I can stop trying and better wait for the September update.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,212 Views)

Hi aitschi,

The recent LabVIEW Module for LEGO MINDSTORMS includes the ability to send mail from the EV3 to the host computer (aka the ability for the brick to write to its own mailbox). You can get it by downloading the LabVIEW Toolkit for MINDSTORMS Competition here: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17997

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,033 Views)

Hi Garrett,

Thanks for the update - I'm happy it is released. I installed it without any errors. But mail with WIFI seems still have problems.

When I send data from my EV3 to the PC via USB -> no problem.

When I switch to WIFI -> I get an error from the VI that reads the data from the brick saying there are connection problems with my connection and I should check the Bluetooth (!?) connection. One more thing: Labview gets extremly slow and I can hardly manage to move icons.

When I switch back to USB -> no problem.

Do you have an idea?

Regards,

Ivo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,974 Views)

I forgot to add: It works also flawlessly with Bluetooth. Only with WIFI I exerience difficulties.

Regards,

Ivo

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,966 Views)

I see. We are looking into the issue. Thanks for reporting this.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,960 Views)