From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView does not recognize my NXT.

Solved!
Go to solution

LabView does not recognize my NXT. The little orange window in the lower left corner shows "NXT Target unspecified". I have powered down and up (both computer and NXT block) again after connecting my USB to NXT. The computer makes the little jingle when I plug in or unplug either end of the USB cable.  I tried scanning via tools/NXT terminal. Pushing scan simply causes a quick image to appear and disappear; no "name", "connection type " or "Status" appears. They are blank. The help section says that this is "straightforwrd" and gives me the impression that LabView will automatically recognize the NXT block that is connected but that isn't the case. Is there a standard procedure to insure recognition of connection to the NXT block by the LabVIEW program? How do I "specify" my "target" as it says in the little orange window? (My laptop uses XP and I tend to use Mozilla firefox...) Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(12,837 Views)

A couple of things:

Within MAX, does the device show up there? I know you mentioned that the device is connected by USB, so it should show up in MAX. If not, then do you have the module and the driver installed that goes with this device?

Within LV, if you go tools>NXT Tools>NXT Terminal, does your USB device get recognized in there? It will take it a second but if your device is connected it should show up in there as NXT [USB] and give you some information about the device.

Also, try running an example program for the NXT. Within LV, if you select help>find examples and then choose Toolkits and Modules>NXT Robotics>Display and then choose Hello_World.vit. This will open an example program that will display hello world on your NXT. If you have any errors, follow the instructions in those errors.

David A.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(12,824 Views)

David - How do I look at MAX? Is that part of LabVIEW? There is a little "ding dong" sound ON MY COMPUTER when I power the NXT brick up or down or disconnect so it does recognize some part of the connection. I just don't know how to make my brick the "NXT target." Should the NXT be set as visible? Invisible? Does that make a difference? What about activating/deactivating bluetooth?

When I run Hello World, it just says Error: Cannot connect to the NX. I went through the possible solutions. (- Ensure the NXT is powered on and connected to your computer
- If Bluetooth connection, ensure Bluetooth is enabled on the NXT
- Try restarting the NXT...) All to no avail.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(12,818 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hemlockmark

Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) is another piece of software that we provide. You should have it on your computer since you have LabVIEW. If you open that up and expand my system and then expand devices and interfaces, does a USB device show up in there? If not, then MAX is not recognizing the device and if that is the case you will not be able to use the device in LabVIEW. If the device is not recognized, make sure you have the module and driver that corresponds with this product.

Once the device shows in MAX you will be able to use it in LabVIEW. The module is located here.

David A.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(12,811 Views)

I am having the same problem but the nxt was previusly configuered for robot c how do i change it to labview?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(12,050 Views)

@Stagger wrote:

I am having the same problem but the nxt was previusly configuered for robot c how do i change it to labview?

All you have to do is install the LabVIEW firmware.  The easiest way to do this is to hold down the RESET button (it's accessible via a paper clip in a LEGO hole just under the USB port on the device) for 5-10 seconds, and the device will enter a "Firmware Flash" mode.  You can then upload the firmware through the LabVIEW software.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(12,047 Views)

how do i install the firmware

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(12,043 Views)

Hi Stagger,

You can update your firmware by going to Tools >> NXT Modules >> Update firmware using the NXT Toolkit 2.0 which can be found here http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4435

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(12,031 Views)

Thank you but i eneded up figuirig it out but i have yet another problem i using the joystinck configurations but when i test it when i try and drive the robot it has a delay of when i actualy move the joystick how can i fix this

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(12,029 Views)

@Stagger wrote:

Thank you but i eneded up figuirig it out but i have yet another problem i using the joystinck configurations but when i test it when i try and drive the robot it has a delay of when i actualy move the joystick how can i fix this

Stop using bluetooth.  Honestly, there's no way really to "fix" this, that's just the communication propagation delay.  If you direct tether with USB, you can eliminate a lot of the lag, or if you were to get your hands on a USB-Wifi module like the FTC Samantha (you can only get one if you're competing in the FTC competition). 

Good luck.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(12,024 Views)