From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV mis-use or incompatibility

Dear community,

Being new in this forum I hope I post this request at the correct board.

My son has used Mindstroms v1.1 to program his NXT brick (v1.3.5). Now he wants to change to LabVIEW2011 (incl. NXT module 2011 with mass compilation). For this reason he wrote a small program to check his touch sensor, incrementing a counter each time the sensor is bumped. The Mindstorms program works well. But its LV2011 counterpart fails to recognise the sensor. So the counter increments all the time even if there is no bumper action just like a loop counter. Using the LV2011 sensor viewer he recieves normal indications. Please check the attached pdf files which depict both programs. Same situation arises if he uses the sonar sensor.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Is it a major misunderstanding in the use of LV2011 like a global setting or is it a kind of compatibility problem between the different versions? Even the VIs from the help tutorial are not running.

Since we are struggeling since last Christmas I hope anyone can give us some good advise.

All the best

Markus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,620 Views)

You need to include the 'True' case of the conditional block. 

We can't see what logic is there when the sensor is 'Bumped'.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,606 Views)

Also...  Why are you sending the 'Enter' button into the conditional logic? 

If you want to stop the program when it is pressed, you have already accomplished that by sending it to the 'Stop' function of the loop control block.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,596 Views)

Thanks for your comment.

Here is the true and false case and the VI.

Also I removed the 'Enter' button in the conditional logic. But still the program doesn't work.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,534 Views)

Indeed the program works well, since the code is well done and also run it. So I assume it's a problem with the installation of the libraries or the lego NXT Firmware.

The first thing you should check is the firmware version of your lego NXT, ( currently on version "1.31" ) this can be seen in (Tools / NXT terminal), where you can update the version if necessary.

You could also try reinstalling the LEGO NXT toolkin. https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15615

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,519 Views)

Thanks

I update the firmware to 1.31 and install LabVIEW 2011 new.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,491 Views)

Sorry for my incomplete post, mom got angry.

So once again, I updated the firmware to 1.31 and reinstalled LabVIEW 2011 and NXT toolkit including mass compilation.

But it still doesn´t work.

Has anybody an idea why?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,472 Views)

Dear community,

I have installed LabVIEW Student version 2011 and the according NXT toolkit on another PC. The counter.vi still does not work.

However, I recognise that the program runs correctly in direct control mode, but not in remote control (touch sensor has no influence). So I am glad, that at least the direct control is fine. Is there anything to be considered before distributing the vi to the NXT brick? Or is a library missing, cause during mass compilation some errors occured, which I have attached in the text file. Where does LabVIEW expect the libraries to be stored?

Hope anybody has some answers.

All the best

Markus

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,436 Views)