LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distributing LEGO / LabVIEW Applications

Hello --

I have written a LabVIEW application that uses the direct commands to move a LEGO robot.  We will need to distribute this application with LEGO kits in the summer, and I had some questions about how to send along the NXTToolkit. 

If I build an installer in LabVIEW, will it contain the NXTToolkit by default?  Do I need to have the users install the NXTToolkit and patches directly?  I am concerned about the whole Mass Compile thing.  Can I send along a compiled NXTToolkit?  If so, does anybody know how to do it?

Thanks for any answers you may have --
Robert
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,125 Views)

@rdherric wrote:
Hello --

I have written a LabVIEW application that uses the direct commands to move a LEGO robot.  We will need to distribute this application with LEGO kits in the summer, and I had some questions about how to send along the NXTToolkit. 

If I build an installer in LabVIEW, will it contain the NXTToolkit by default?  Do I need to have the users install the NXTToolkit and patches directly?  I am concerned about the whole Mass Compile thing.  Can I send along a compiled NXTToolkit?  If so, does anybody know how to do it?

If you build an application with LabVIEW, it will create a single EXE that contains the code for the application. The required parts of the NXT toolkit will be built in. However, the EXE will not include the driver to communicate with the NXT device. That needs to be installed separately. The installer for the driver is available from the LEGO site (as Mindstorms Driver v1.02)

http://mindstorms.lego.com/Support/Updates/
Joel Sumner
NI-Shanghai
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,110 Views)
Joel --

Thanks for the response.  Knowing that the NXT commands will be compiled into the EXE makes things much easier on me.  I am glad that LabVIEW works that way!

Thanks again --
Robert
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,105 Views)