Developer Center Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community document collaboration and editing.

Solved!
Go to solution

I moved this tangent discussion from here.  Recap:

David_L Apr 27, 2012 12:54 PM (in response to Daklu)

Hi Daklu,

Thank you very much for your feedback.  I'm glad to see that people are not only reading the documents but seeing value in it and starting conversations about it.

I agree with all of your comments.  This document definitely is a living document, but know that it's intention is a place to start.  By no means was the implication that this is the all encompassing guide for creating an API.  In fact, the LabVIEW Tools Network Dev Center as a whole is intended for that, and many of the specific topics we've written over the past few years hopefully address a lot of the specifics that may be missing from here.  If not, there are many places to grow and I assure you we aren't done creating new topics.  Feedback like this is what sparks the ideas for new content and I will definitely use it going forward.

This all in mind, the Dev Center is an open community and we fully welcome input and content from everyone.  If you have ideas on how to add valuable information, we encourage and welcome you to create your own documents or work with us to enhance what is already there.

Thanks again,

David

Christopher Relf Apr 27, 2012 1:17 PM (in response to David_L)

Since this is a living document, it'd be an awesome fit for the LabVIEWwiki.org - any chance we could put it up there so we all can improve it?

DavidStaab Apr 27, 2012 1:21 PM (in response to Christopher Relf)

You can improve this one: Just click "edit" in the upper-right. Personally, I vastly prefer the WYSIWYG on NI Community to a wiki-based editor.

Daklu Apr 27, 2012 1:58 PM (in response to DavidStaab)

I prefer WYSIWYG editors also, but the one advantage LabVIEWwiki has is that the content is clearly not "owned" by anyone.  I have always read NI community documents written by NI employees with the idea that person who originated the document is responsible for it and working from a larger overall plan to deliver a consistent message to the community.  Completely rewriting content in a way that makes more sense to me could disrupt the message NI is trying to deliver.  That's been my line of thinking anyway and why I've always added comments instead of editing documents directly.

*If* these documents are intended to be more wiki-ish in nature I might just go on a writing binge and not surface for weeks.

(I really hate writing; please say they're not wiki-ish...)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,777 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_L

Daklu - I appreciate your respect for the content and message NI tries to deliver with the online content.  For these key messages we have different venues such as the NI Developer Zone, Knowledgebase, etc that only we can modify.  The purpose of the community however is to provide a venue for collaboration between LabVIEW Developers, including those within NI.  We want the Dev Center content to be the go-to source for creating high quality apps and toolkits, and how better a way to make it this way then for us to get feedback from those of you who have been developing in LabVIEW for years. 

So go lock yourself in a room and start writing 🙂

Message 2 of 3
(4,285 Views)

Rats.  I mean... GREAT! 

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,285 Views)