From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithd

Simulate cRIO chassis for development away from the chassis

Right now, you can simulate the I/O from an FPGA target. Timing features and other hardware-specific VIs are not executed, but the code still functions and allows you to debug certain aspects of it without working through the compile process. It would be similarly helpful if you could simulate the real-time controller, or a cRIO in scan mode, with simulated IO. Again, the resultant VI will not be truly realtime, but it would allow useful development without having constant access to the cRIO.

1.png

22 Comments
FredNiemela

+1

Any news?

Deborah_B
Active Participant

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your interest and feedback thus far. We are researching how to provide this capability in a consistent experience with the simulation already provided for FPGA (where it makes sense, of course hardware compilation/concurrency/timing is different than for SW). Which of the following interactions would be required and which useful?

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Kent_N.

I agree with the comments in this thread. I am presently working with 3 cRIO chassis at work but cannot take the entire environment to another location. It would be extremely helpful to be able to simulate the Real Time cRIO chassis similar to the ability to simulate an FPGA environment. Has there been any movement in the NI areas to add this feature?

RavensFan
Knight of NI

If you agree, then you should click on the Kudo button (star next to the idea) to register your vote that you want this idea!

nwxan90

This might not be an ideal solution however you can "Simulate" a cRIO now by setting up a virtual machine on your own PC. 

I posted the instructions on another requested idea. 
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Real-Time-Idea-Exchange/Provide-a-Virtual-Machine-VM-in-which-to-ru...

I use the virtual machine for simulation of a crio away from the main hardware.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor

CLA CPI

cbutcher
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd be happy with the ability to set my code on cRIO to execute on the desktop for testing with e.g. JKI's VI Tester, or just for me to run something.

Of course, I can drag it to the My Computer target, but then I have to drag it back.

I suspect this is more complex that it seems on the surface - for example, if you're loading PPLs, you'd need a desktop version of the PPL to use for desktop execution, and the relinking of code might break this possibility, but if it was possible, it would be nice (even if it precludes certain groups of VIs, like those using PPLs).

GCentral
nwxan90

You can link the windows and cRIO side to both use the same VI. I am not 100% sure if it would work with PPLs however if you hold down ctrl and drag from one target to the other they will be linked to the same VI. So if you double click on the VI under the cRIO and make a change if you were to double click on the same VI on windows it would open the updated VI. 

This can also be achieved by right clicking in the bottom corner of the VI and selecting where you want the VI to run. 

CLA CPI

zundap1970

Hi all, 

I make a VM for a cRIO platform (linux based) but MAX recognize "cRIO-903x-VM" but I want simulate the cRIO-9045, how can change the chassis in VM ?

Thanks

nwxan90

Hi zundap1970 

There is a more active thread that has your answer linked here

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Real-Time-Idea-Exchange/Provide-a-Virtual-Machine-VM-in-which-to-ru...

Thanks

CLA CPI

zundap1970

Hi again....but someone has simulate ALL cRIO with VM ?

I mean, RT part + chassis?.

Whitout the chassis seems not possible download the previous project on VM .

Thanks