NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
smithd

Simulate cRIO chassis for development away from the chassis

by Active Participant smithd on ‎01-20-2011 05:44 PM

Right now, you can simulate the I/O from an FPGA target. Timing features and other hardware-specific VIs are not executed, but the code still functions and allows you to debug certain aspects of it without working through the compile process. It would be similarly helpful if you could simulate the real-time controller, or a cRIO in scan mode, with simulated IO. Again, the resultant VI will not be truly realtime, but it would allow useful development without having constant access to the cRIO.

1.png

Comments
by Active Participant smithd on ‎01-20-2011 08:32 PM

Ooops, I somehow managed to put this in the wrong idea exchange. :smileyindifferent:

by Active Participant gsussman on ‎01-24-2011 07:54 AM

That could dovetail into this idea.

Virtual Machine to Run LVRT

by Active Participant smithd on ‎01-24-2011 10:17 AM

Definitely true, but this seemed like it would be easier for the developers, since they (presumably) have some sort of system in place for the FPGA code.

by Knight of NI on ‎01-24-2011 10:22 AM

Doesn't matter... This is a great and long awaited feature..

Kudos!

by Active Participant Caseyw on ‎02-15-2011 10:00 AM

We have done some exploration of this idea, and are interested in learning more about customer requirements.

- Would everyone need access to shared variables and other network communication from the simulated environment?

- Would everyone need to integrate compiled libraries (necessitating that we run the LabVIEW Real-Time OS under the hood)

- Would everyone be interested in simulating an entire target, or just choosing to run a VI in a LabVIEW project in "simulation mode" (this is similar to LabVIEW FPGA simulation).

Please post your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Casey Weltzin

Product Manager, LabVIEW Real-Time

National Instruments

by Knight of NI on ‎02-22-2011 02:16 PM

YES on all three

Definitely simulate the entire target.

by Member maxwellb on ‎02-20-2013 02:57 PM

Any news on this? I would love it!

by Member Sara_J on ‎05-30-2014 11:31 AM

The idea was first proposed in 2011.  A query from 2013 as to the status got no apparent response.  Now it's 2014...  I'm hoping someone is still monitoring this thread.  Has this functionality been developed yet?  I need to do some development, but cannot interfere with the production environment and do not have the extra hardware to set up a full test environment.  A cRIO chassis simulator would really, really help right now.

About LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Real-Time Idea?

1. Does your idea apply to LabVIEW in general? Get the best feedback by posting it on the original LabVIEW Idea Exchange.
  2. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  3. If your idea has not been submitted click New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  4. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  5. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  6. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW Real-Time!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count