LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithd

Simulate cRIO chassis for development away from the chassis

Right now, you can simulate the I/O from an FPGA target. Timing features and other hardware-specific VIs are not executed, but the code still functions and allows you to debug certain aspects of it without working through the compile process. It would be similarly helpful if you could simulate the real-time controller, or a cRIO in scan mode, with simulated IO. Again, the resultant VI will not be truly realtime, but it would allow useful development without having constant access to the cRIO.

1.png

22 Comments
smithd
Active Participant

Ooops, I somehow managed to put this in the wrong idea exchange. Smiley Indifferent

gsussman
Active Participant

That could dovetail into this idea.

Virtual Machine to Run LVRT

smithd
Active Participant

Definitely true, but this seemed like it would be easier for the developers, since they (presumably) have some sort of system in place for the FPGA code.

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Doesn't matter... This is a great and long awaited feature..

Kudos!

Caseyw
NI Employee (retired)

We have done some exploration of this idea, and are interested in learning more about customer requirements.

- Would everyone need access to shared variables and other network communication from the simulated environment?

- Would everyone need to integrate compiled libraries (necessitating that we run the LabVIEW Real-Time OS under the hood)

- Would everyone be interested in simulating an entire target, or just choosing to run a VI in a LabVIEW project in "simulation mode" (this is similar to LabVIEW FPGA simulation).

Please post your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Casey Weltzin

Product Manager, LabVIEW Real-Time

National Instruments

Ray.R
Knight of NI

YES on all three

Definitely simulate the entire target.

maxwellb

Any news on this? I would love it!

Sara_J

The idea was first proposed in 2011.  A query from 2013 as to the status got no apparent response.  Now it's 2014...  I'm hoping someone is still monitoring this thread.  Has this functionality been developed yet?  I need to do some development, but cannot interfere with the production environment and do not have the extra hardware to set up a full test environment.  A cRIO chassis simulator would really, really help right now.

Annapoorani

Any updates on adding "Simulate cRIO chassis".. It will be very helpful! 

Ajay_MV
Active Participant

Any update on this feature.. I'm looking for this kind of simulation.

--
Ajay MV