LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Real-Time Idea?

1. Does your idea apply to LabVIEW in general? Get the best feedback by posting it on the original LabVIEW Idea Exchange.
  2. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  3. If your idea has not been submitted click New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  4. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  5. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  6. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW Real-Time!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide a Virtual Machine (VM) in which to run LV RT systems on

When developing RT code (especially system upgrades) it would be truly helpful to have a virtual machine (VMware, MS Virtual PC, Sun Virtual box, etc....) that would allow us to run the actual VxWorks OS and LVRT in it's native environment, within the Windows OS. This would allow the code to run on the actual RTOS (I realize that determinism would be scacrificed) and provide the ability to actually test the functionality of the code in the actual environment to ensure that it runs as it should. It would also preclude the need to have a bunch of RT controllers sitting on the shelf in the event that you might need them.

There is and emulator for PDA module, why not for RT.

16 Comments

D4N!3L3,

I was going down the same path that you seemed to get working, and I'm having troubles booting into the USB stick on my VM. I get stuck at "Waiting for USB to intitialize." 

Did you do anything else to boot off the USB drive properly?

Thanks!

Hi Plist,

as far i know, it's not possible to boot a VirtualBox directly from an USB drive. For this reason i've followed the guide here (http://www.howtogeek.com/187721/how-to-boot-from-a-usb-drive-in-virtualbox/) that use an undocumented feature of VirtualBox to enable direct access to an usb drive. This small hack make the USB drive visible to the VirtualBox as an IDE drive. The Virtual Machine then boot from this "fake" IDE drive.

Where/when exactly you got stuck? During the process of creating the .vmdk "bridge" file?

Hi D4N!3L3,

I followed the instructions you posted but I am getting the same problem than Plist. I am stuck to "Waiting for USB to initialize..."

Please find attached the screenshoot of my virtual machine. I set the same parameters as you.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Jean

VM_Screenshot1.jpg

VM_Screenshot2.jpgVM_Screenshot3.jpg

VM_Screenshot4.jpgVM_Screenshot5.jpgVM_Screenshot6.jpgVM_Screenshot7.jpgVM_Screenshot8.jpgVM_Screenshot9.jpg

Jean LINISA
Certified LabVIEW Architect Consultant

For those who had the same problem as me I couldn't use the USB Utility Drive but I finally manage to set up the Virtualbox by cloning hard drive using Clonezilla and Gparted.VirtualBoxWorking.png

Jean LINISA
Certified LabVIEW Architect Consultant
Active Participant

This lack of functionality is one of the biggest reasons our business does not want to adopt real-time controllers for embedded control systems; prefering instead to implement traditional PLC and SCADA systems. Those systems are capable of development and testing without any hardware present and suit the workflow of feasibility as well as change control in production. Sure, they have less features but isn't one of the goals of the cRIO platform to provide a super-set?

I don't see how anyone can have high confidence in a cRIO system (except for the most basic of use cases), or worse a change to a remote system without actually having the exact hardware present for testing; a most expensive exercise.

Its good to see that NI are taking this seriously with a change to "In Development" status. 

Hi all,

finally I've managed to create a VHD bootable image of the USB DesktopPC Utility disk.

For those interested: v2014, v2015

ps: I think that this do not violate any (C) but if NI thinks in a different way I'll remove the files.