LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MathieuSteiner

Allow the deploy libraries method to work in RT OS

It would allow an RT executable to deploy shared variable automatically

(and not from the project explorer or the host computer as mentionned here)

4 Comments
jkurtw
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Mathieu,

What is your primary use case for this feature?

Would you be dynamically creating and destroying network variables during runtime on your RT target? Or is it just for initial setup up and system replication? 

MathieuSteiner
Active Participant

Hello jkurtw,

I would like to make sure my variables are deployed before the heart of the program to run (I usually do this on windows)

It would also be usefull to make sure noone deleted the variables using the  "distributed system manager".

This would be usefull when deplying new versions of the RT exe that could use new shared variables

Regards,

Mathieu

MGiacomet

In my case I need to update the software on my cRIOs via cell modem. I'm able to update the executable, but would like to do the same for shared variables.

Why isn't it possible? Whatever is happening when the Host PC connects to the target, should be able to be done within the cRIO itself. NI, where is the information about shared variables stored (doesn't look like in a file...)?

MichaelS78

I update my remote cRIO by detecting a USB is inserted, then copy over the rtexe and reboot.  I was stung recently because i had included new variables and there is no way to deploy the variables directly from the target.  I cant see a reason why this would be difficult, and it does seem like an oversight.  My often cRIO systems are never connected to a host PC.

It does not help that the Deploy Library node which works in windows does not give a broken arrow when placed on a real time VI, it just returns a runtime error.