From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Real-Time Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuart.Parkinson

Access ethernet connected cDAQ units from LV Real-Time

To allow expansion of DAQ capabilities from a real time PXI Rack it would be nice to be able to add a Compact DAQ chassis to the ethernet port and address it like you can on a desktop. I understand this is possible for USB connected chassis but not ethernet. 

This would allow an existing RT DAQ system to be easily expanded, or to acquire data from remote points without the necessity of wiring every channel back to the main rack.

3 Comments
Deborah_B
Active Participant

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for this feedback! Can you share your needs for cDAQ chassis expansion versus the existing MXI-Express RIO Expansion chassis? I'm interested both in software interaction or if it's strictly hardware specs.

Best,

Deborah

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Deborah_B
Active Participant

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Stuart.Parkinson

Hi Deborah.

I have an existing Real Time PXI rack running a datalogging application which measures a lot of test data from dozens of transducers covering a large physical area. In order to add more transducers I would need to install hundreds of meters of wiring from the measurement point back to the rack (not feasible at present). It would be much more convenient to install small cDAQ chassis at remote points and keep the transducer wiring short, and connect the cDAQ units back to the main application on the RT rack with ethernet. If LabVIEW RT could access the ethernet connected cDAQ units (like LabVIEW Windows can) then this would be easy. I guess its just a case of porting the cDAQ ethernet driver over to Pharlap - simple! (or not, lol) 

Not sure how the MXI Expansion chassis would help me here as I am using a PXI RT Rack (not RIO).

Hope this clarifies. If I am missing something on the MXI then please let me know.

Stu.