LabVIEW Project Providers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Execution trace toolkit on Providers

Does anybody know how to trace execution of the ETT for a provider.

Specifically I am looking at the SCC instance.
My own Mercurail implementation is causing 'Exception: Access violation (0xC0000005) at EIP=0x00000200''

I'd like to track this with the Execution Trace toolkit. However the app-instance for this (mxLV??) is not available for the ETT.

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 1 of 13
(6,086 Views)

Good question Ton.  I do not know if this is possible or not, but I will follow up with R&D and let you know what I find out.

David

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,030 Views)

Sorry for the delay, the holiday weekend made it difficult to get the information I needed right away.

I learned that it is possible to Trace the provider context with the addition of an INI token for DETT.  However I want to make sure to put the warning out that the LabVIEW Project Provider context triggers A LOT of events and it may not be completely helpful.  In fact you may experience memory problems if the trace goes on for long periods of time.  The below INI token should be used carefully and at your own risk, just as the Project Provider framework is.  Please also don't share this information outside of this private forum.

INI Location: "<National Instruments>\MAX\Assistants\Trace Toolkit\TraceTool.ini"

INI Category:  [GlobalSettings]

Token:  PrivateContexts=True

Once this token is in place, you should restart DETT, create a new trace, click refresh and choose the App Instance "NI.LV.MxLvProvider"

On a related note, I have learned from the DETT developers that there will be some significant changes going into DETT 2013.  Because of this they are planning an early beta for the product to get customer feedback.  If anyone is interested, please send me a private message with your email address and I will pass your information on to the team who is working on this.

Let me know if you have success with this.

Message 3 of 13
(6,030 Views)

Hey All,

Just as a followup to this, I learned that the DETT 2013 Beta has recently opened.  If you haven't gotten an invite already and are interested in joining, you can go to the Beta Program resource center (http://www.ni.com/beta) to sign up.

Enjoy!

Message 4 of 13
(6,030 Views)

It appears the directory above for the "PrivateContexts=True" no longer exists for the 2013 Beta -- would you report back if we're still able to trace the Provider context, and if so, how to enable it?

I've done some poking around in obvious locations and using Process Explorer, but to no avail so far...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,030 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

It appears the directory above for the "PrivateContexts=True" no longer exists for the 2013 Beta -- would you report back if we're still able to trace the Provider context, and if so, how to enable it?

I've done some poking around in obvious locations and using Process Explorer, but to no avail so far...

Aha!

C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\National Instruments\Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit\DETT.ini

And now the key is in the [GlobalSetting] section (notice the lack of an 's' at the end)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,030 Views)

Would this mean that all new NI products get proper (userified) INI files?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 7 of 13
(6,030 Views)

The new key for DETT 2013 Beta is

[Preference]
ShowPrivateContext="True"

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,030 Views)

Jifan wrote:

The new key for DETT 2013 Beta is

[Preference]
ShowPrivateContext="True"

This setting appeared to not have any effect, even when set to TRUE -- it appears that "PrivateContexts=True" from the [GlobalSetting] remains the key that shows private contexts.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,030 Views)

Would this mean that all new NI products get proper (userified) INI files?

Obviously we can't make promises on any future plans, but this is the first product I've heard to make this change.  As always the proper channel is the idea exchange for this type of request.  Sorry, I wish I knew/could say more.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,030 Views)