From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW MathScript RT Module

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing multiple music files independently through either one or more sound cards in LabView

Hello, LabView users all!

I'm working on Senior Design 2 at UT Dallas. To give a big picture of what our team is trying to build, let me explain briefly you all what our system is like. My team is creating a system that can detect multiple RFID Tags and stream corresponding audio data at real time. A RFID detector, MCU, Wireless Transmitter would be main components that consist of our system and LabView play a role as a User interface and controller connecting wireless transmitter and computer. 

So now, my task is to build a LabView program that can stream multiple audio data (probably WAV file) to multiple channels (users) at real time through either of below sound card. Here are two possible situations to give you a better understanding of our system. One is two users are receiving a music file with time difference. Another is two each user are receving each two different music files at the same time. In other words, my goal is to play two music files independently and at the different time to each channel when there're two music files and two channels. Oh, the time difference is not fixed. Playing a music file occurs only when the corresponding RFID Tag is detected. I mean LabView commands to play a music file as soon as a RFID Tag is detected. 

I attached the weblink that we're considering. First one is a general 5.1 channel sound card and second one is audio card having 4 input and 4 output channel. Which type of sound card do you think it's better to work with LabView to control two music files independently? Once it's fixed, just MathScript mudule would be enough to build this program or do you recommend other structure for this program?

Please get me as many replies and advices as possible!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

1. DIAMOND XtremeSound XS51 5.1 Channels 16-bit 48KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111003

2. Delta 44 - Professional 4-In/4-Out Audio Card
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta44.html

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,348 Views)

You talk mostly about LabVIEW and just at the end mention MathScript.

I don't quite understant what the question has to do with MathScript.

Can you explain?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,339 Views)

There is a structure called "MathScript" under Programming Palette. I'm using this structure to build such a system that I've mentioned, but if there's a other way to make it in LabView, I'll go with that. I'm using MathScript just because it's the most familiar structure for me. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,335 Views)

How are you planning on playing the music files? Directly through LabVIEW using mathscript? Or through activeX controls to a media player? 

I fairly certain you'd be able to write you program in LabVIEW's native graphical code.  

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,316 Views)

I’m planning on play the music files through LabVIEW using mathscript so far. Would it be better to choose activeX controls to a media player? I haven’t thought of that way.

Daeun Lee,

Senior in Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at Dallas.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,312 Views)

Oh, Probably I’ll go with 5.1 channel sound card that has five channel outputs by a LabVIEW program with either Play Waveform express VI, Play Sound File VI like you’ve mentioned above or MathScript. I’m thinking to use both LabVIEW functions and Mathscript actually. Output device would be the 5.1 channel sound card. Again, my goal is to build a LabVIEW Program that can send five different music files across the five different output of the sound card simultaneously. Can you give me any advice on this? I’m struggling to program this so I’d appreciate your help. Thank you.

Best,

Daeun Lee

Senior in Electrical Engineering

University of Texas at Dallas

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,311 Views)

Using a media player may present problems for you, depending on whether the player supports playing multiple files at once. I think either the mathscript code you know or the play music file would probably be best.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,307 Views)