From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW MathScript RT Module

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MathScript Nugget #21: MathScript Node Improvements in LabVIEW 2010

In the previous MathScript Nugget we started a series of posts about new MathScript features in LabVIEW 2010. Today's post will describe a few simple but helpful usability improvements we've introduced to the MathScript Node.

The changes focus on adding inputs and outputs to the node. The change for inputs is relatively minor. In LabVIEW 2009 when you added an input, it would be 'void' data type until you wired something to it. This means that the terminal would be colored black and it wouldn't have a data type. Unfortunately, it also meant that you couldn't create a constant or control from the new input, as these menu items are disabled for void terminals in LabVIEW. In LabVIEW 2010 the situation has been improved with a simple change: now new inputs are created as scalar DBL by default. The Create Control/Constant/Indicator menu works again. But of course you can still wire any data type to your new input and it will adapt automatically. You would be surprised how many requests we received to fix this behavior!

21505i86A88889947AC8DA

The bigger improvement in LabVIEW 2010 comes when creating outputs. We've streamlined one of the most tedious steps in this process: typing the name of the variable that you want to output. Now instead of laboriously copying, pasting, or re-typing each variable name that you want to output, MathScript automatically detects the names of all the variables in your script and adds them to the popup menu. You can just select the variable that you want to add and LabVIEW will populate its name for you. In LabVIEW 2009, MathScript learned to detect the type of each output variable; now it can know their names too. Compared to just two releases ago, adding outputs is now a breeze.

21507iD53381AF99EC1648

By the way, for the rare occasions where MathScript can't detect the variable you want to output (for example, if your script has a warning glyph or if you haven't typed your entire script yet), you can still select "Undetected Variable" to type in an arbitrary name.

These are relatively minor enhancements to the MathScript Node, but I've found that they really speed things up when I'm developing code. Enjoy!

jattas
LabVIEW MathScript R&D

ps Check out more MathScript Nuggets!

Message 1 of 3
(6,510 Views)

thanks for the post, it is very useful for the new version of labview, I dare to ask about where is the mathscript RT module, where can I download to test it?

Electrical Electronic Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,277 Views)

Hi carlosxyz,

If you go to http://www.ni.com/mathscript there should be a link to download the evaluation version of the MathScript RT Module.

jattas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,259 Views)