LabVIEW MathScript RT Module

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling of code not supported by RT engine

Hi,

in LV 2009 some MathScript funktions are not supported by the runtime engine anymore.

The according code lines are marked by some little warning symbol. The code is executed

correctly in LV but not if you build an application. This is OK as long as you create code from

scratch.

However, I have a large project written in LV 8.6.1. I regularly used the MS knot because

it is a very powerful tool. So I ended up with an executable that did not run correctly. Please

keep in mind that tracking down bugs in the final application is much more difficult that in LV.

Eventually I had to open all the sub VI (> 200 !) and check for MS nodes with warning symbols.

Also I had to check all my user defined functions (.m files) for "forbiden " MS script commands.

Effing nuisance!

Why doesn't the application builder produce APPROPRIATE error messages?

Like  "Line xxx inMathScript node in VI xxx cannot be executed"?

Currently you get the impression theapplication was build successfully but finally you get strange

errors or even erroneous results. Also the "warning symbols" do not apply to user defined functions.

This means thateven if your code is free of warning symbols it doesn't run.

But the biggest problem is finding the bug in the final application. Relevant error messages would be a

big helb. It shouldn't be too difficult to generate them because MS knodes and user defined are parsed

anyway and there is a well defined list of  "forbidden" functions.

I would very appreciate if this problem could be fixed in furter version of LV.

Ulf Seidel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,809 Views)
Hello Ulf,

You have some excellent suggestions.  We are aware of the difficulty in locating unsupported functions in a built application.  The difficulty in reporting an appropriate error message is that these are only errors in a built application.  The rest of the time, the MathScript node should run without error.  The problem is getting information to MathScript when an application is building.  We are working on this and will take your suggestions into account for a future release.

Grant M.
Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW MathScript | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,717 Views)