LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Hall Effect Sensor and LIFA

I am trying to measure water flow (flow rate and total volume) using a hall sensor type flow meter.  I would liek to extract 2 different measurements form this data.  I want to have a flow rate update every second and adjust a stepper motor valve to adjust the flow rate to match a set flow rate.  Additionally I need to collect the total amount of water that has passed through the flow meter and control some valves based up this data.

Is there a way to continuously collect data from a hall effet sensor while (at the same time) measure temperature and operate a couple of servos, and stepper motors?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,129 Views)

Bill,

The LIFA toolkit has a loop rate of around 100Hz so it depends on your flow meter as to what frequencies you expect to see on it. The toolkit can easily be used to monitor multiple sensors and control multiple actuators but with each addition the loop rate will decrease. The best way to see if it's viable is to test it and benchmark the loop rate.

An alternative solution would be to add in the PulseIn() function from the Arduino library to the toolkit. This should allow you to check the positive pulse length of the flow meter and therefore the flow.

Do you have LabVIEW experience (specifically with while loops)? Since LIFA is just an interface that runs in LabVIEW on a host computer, the way to continuously do anything with LabVIEW (and the toolkit) is to use a while loop.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Ben

Ben J.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 2 of 6
(3,745 Views)

Thanks Ben,

Thanks for the quick respose.  Still new to the LIFA firmware.  I have some experience with LabView but little with arduino.  Now I am trying to get some temperature data form a MPC3424 vis I2C.   I will be back when I learn a bit more.

Thanks again,

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,745 Views)

Bill,

This should be pretty easy useing LIFA.  Let us know if you have any questions about the toolkit when you get the hardware.  If you get some sensors working we would love to see the code posted for everyone to use.

-Sam

LIFA Developer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,745 Views)

hello bill, i am newbie with LabVIEW-Arduino.

i have problem with my sensor water flow meter YF-S201 (Hall Effect Sensor) where is not toolkits for sensor it.

can you help me to give VI for read flow with hall effect sensor.

Thanks,

U-man

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,745 Views)

Can you pls give me your vi

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,678 Views)