From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about motor homing control

Hi,

I'm using an arduino uno, sparkfun motor controller and a sparkfun bipolar stepper motor set-up. I'm wondering if I could set a "Home " position for the stepper motor using LIFA? So that every time I start the program, the motor will move to a fixed position. 

Also I'm wondering usually how many steps for a whole revolution of a stepper motor? I tested to be about 1600 steps.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,761 Views)

How are you supposed to know that it's at "home"?  Stepper motors are incremental rotation devices.  This means that you can only command it to move X steps clockwise or counter-clockwise.  There is no way to know what the motor's position is without external feedback.  This is true for any stepper motor configuration and has nothing to do with LabVIEW.

The number of steps that makes a full revolution of a stepper motor is part of the design specification of a stepper motor.  You can't change it and we can't guess what it is.  You need to look at the motor's specifications/datasheet.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,689 Views)