LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Interface for Arduino FAQ

0. What is the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

1. What operating systems does the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino support?

2. Which version of LabVIEW do I need to use the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

3. What hardware is required to use the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

4. How do I install the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

5. Where can I get support for the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

6. How can I get started using the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

7. Can I deploy LabVIEW Code to my Arduino?

8. Do I have to be tetherd to a computer to use the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

9. Can I add my own sensors to the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

10. How does the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino work?

0.  What is the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

• The LabVIEW Interface for Arduino (LIFA) Toolkit is a Free Toolkit that allows developers to acquire data from the Arduino microcontroller and process it in the LabVIEW Graphical Programming environment.  For a brief overview of the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino see Michaels post here.

1. What operating systems does the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino support?

• The LabVIEW Interface for Arduino is currently compatible with any version of Windows or Mac os that supports LabVIEW 2009 or later.  The toolkit will also work on any version of Linux that supports LabVIEW 2009 or later however there is currently no installer (JKI VI Package Manager) for Linux.  JKI is currently working on VIPM 2010 for Linux which will be available here when complete.

2. Which version of LabVIEW do I need to use the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

• 2009 or later.

3. What hardware is required to use the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

• To get started the only hardware you need is an Arduino, USB cable, and a computer with LabVIEW and the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino.  The LabVIEW Interface for Arduino was developed and tested using the Arduino Uno and the Arduino MEGA 2560.  While any Arduino board should work only the Uno and Mega 2560 are 'officially supported'.

4. How do I install the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

5. Where can I get support for the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

• Support for the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino is provided on the community forums.  The LabVIEW Interface for Arduino is not supported by Applications Engineers via phone, email, or otherwise.

6. How can I get started using the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

• After installing the toolkit as descried here the best way to get started is by checking out the examples from the LabVIEW Example Finder.  In LabVIEW Click Help>>Find Examples.  Then click the search tab in the upper left and search for  'Arduino' to show the getting started examples for the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino.

7. Can I deploy LabVIEW Code to my Arduino?

• No.  At this time you cannot deploy LabVIEW Code to your Arduino.  You can, however, use the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino to communicate with your Arduino using LabVIEW.

8. Do I have to be tetherd to a computer to use the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

9. Can I add my own sensors to the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino?

• Yes.  Both the firmware and VIs are open source and made for customization.  More on this coming soon.

10. How does the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino (LIFA) work?

• Put simply, the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino sends data packets from LabVIEW to the Arduino.  The Arduino processes these packets and sends return packets.  Return packets are parsed by LabVIEW to provide useful information to the end user.  Each packet is 15 bytes by default and contains a header, a command byte, data bytes, and a checksum.  The packet length can be changed to suit specific applications by modifying the firmware and specifying the packet size to the Init VI in LabVIEW (Most users will not need to do this).  The LIFA firmware on the Arduino processes the packets by ensuring no data has been corrupted during transmission, then checks the command byte and execute instructions with the given data bytes based on the command byte. 
Comments
vishots.com
on

You mention in the FAQ that the LIFA works in labview 2009, however the LIFA package seems to only be compatible with labview 2010.2011-05-19_0205.png

Kristoff2
NI Employee (retired)
on

Michael,

Thanks for catching this.  It will be fixed in the next build.

-Sam

grape
on

Hello Sam,

Great work on the LIFA.. have you make it compatible with Labview 2009?

Kristoff2
NI Employee (retired)
on

Grape,

We are still working to track down why the package is only compatible with 2010.  It should be build for 2009 or later but it seems to like 2010 best.  I'll post an update as soon as we get this worked out.

-Sam

LIFA Developer

grape
on

Thanks Sam...

Kristoff2
NI Employee (retired)
on

All,

I just sent out a new version of LIFA to be added to VIPM.  Build 1.3.0.26 now fully supports LabVIEW 2009 or later and also includes servo VIs.  I hope that it will go live today, but may take until Monday 6/6 to work its way into the repository.  Grab the new version, update the firmware on your arduino and you should be good to go.  As always keep posting feedback so we can add features and fix any bugs that arise.

-Sam

LIFA Developer

Nick_425
on

The new LIFA version that supports LV2009 is up and it works! I ran the Analog Read Pin Example.vi with no problems whatsoever. I am looking forward to working with this interface further.

Thanks Sam!

-Nick

Kristoff2
NI Employee (retired)
on

Nick,

No problem.  Make sure you post any feedback you have or any cool projects you work on.

-Sam

LIFA Developer

Flamboyant
on

Hi,

Can the Arduino accept 0-10V.I mean, will the Arduino detect 0V and anything upto 10V.Because I've read somewhere that the input range is 7-12V

prak

Kristoff2
NI Employee (retired)
on

Prak,

The Arduino's analog input pins can only read 0-5v.  The 7-12 volts you are referring to is the supply power if you are using non-USB power.  The Arduino has a voltage regulator that will take the 7-12 volts and regulate it down to a smooth 5v for the arduino to use.  You can measure anywhere from 0-5v regardless of the power source as long as its at least 5v and 7v would be better because of the regulator.

Let us know if you have any other questions about this.

-Sam

LIFA Developer

Philbot
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

HI

I just stmbled on LIFA today, and think this is really cool.

I'm not a Arduino user, but I develop on a lot of other micro platforms.

So my obvious question is:  Is there a spec/white-paper that defines the packet protocol that LIFA uses with the Arduino, so I can adopt it with another processor/application to be compatible with the LV frontend and VIs?

I know I could beat through the code and figure it out for myself, but I figured there must be one somewhere.

The wheels are already turning

Phil.

Get a life? This IS my life!
Kristoff2
NI Employee (retired)
on

Phil,

I have a nasty looking spread sheet that describes all of the commands but I doubt anyone else could make much sense of it.  I can clean it up and post it here for reference.  In a nutshell each packet has a header (currently its always just 0xFF but this can be taken advantage of later [its currently used mainly for wireless syncronization]) then a command byte, 12 argument bytes and a checksum (sum of all bytes with overflow discarded).

-Sam

LIFA Developer

Philbot
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I think having it posted here would be a great idea.

The document should also include expected response formats.

Showing an example command and response packet (bytes) would be fantatstic.

Get a life? This IS my life!
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Yes! Please share whatever you can on the message format.

I just recently started playing with Netduino in my (limited) spare time. The I/O of the Netduino is the same as the Arduino, so it shouldn't be too hard to write a Netduino library and then use LabVIEW to interact with that as well.

http://netduino.com/

I just downloaded the beta 4.2 .net micro framework and netduino SDK. I'm already using it to log to my Ethernet Sheild SD, and hope to get to a point where I can use UDP to broadcast syslogd messages that can be scooped up by the LabVIEW Syslog Protocol Reference Library.

With the newer Netduio+, the micro-sd flash and Ethernet are built in!

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Andy_Mil
on

Do you have the I2C bus and SPI bus speeds posted anywhere?

Andy Milluzzi

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
University of Florida
Computer and Software Engineering
Mike2011
on

I am working with LIFA on a 2560 and I have been able to successfully program all the digital pins as Input or output but the Analog ones I can only configure then as inputs, for some reason they do not work as output (PinMode (Output))  and PinType (Analog)). I have realized as well that for most of the examples VIs the number of analog pins is limitted from 0 to 7, when there are 16 Analog pins available on the 2560. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

yoyo2004
on

It would be really Great if you could add support for Intterrupts .

Ale008
on

Hi, i have one problem. I have LV 2011, i follow all the instructions to connect the arduino to LV but when i want to load the LV interface to arduino, always give me errors. And the gui tell me that i should search for an pbe, document something like that but i ujust see other formats. I try all of them but the errors are with them all.

dfrederickson
on

The reason the analog pins on the 2560 can't be configured as outputs is because they are only input pins.  Per the Atmel website, the ATMega2650 has 16 Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) input pins and no Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) output pins.

$anman23
on
Not getting LVIFA_BASE.pde file
[ New ]

hello everone.

I m doing a dissertation work. For that i am using arduino uno. For the 2 way transfer of data between Arduino uno and Labview i have installed the NI VISA Drivers, VIPM and LIFA Toolkit. But now not getting the following .pde file which going to be installed in arduino.

• C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\vi.lib\LabVIEW Interface for Arduino\Firmware\LVIFA_Base\LVIFA_Base.pde

I have also uninstall and reinstalled it. But not getting the .pde file.

Please hepl me out because it stop my work. Thanks in advances.

Here i m also attaching the scanp shot what i m getting.

LIFA_base 1.jpg

LIFA_base.jpg

hrh1818
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

What version of Labview are you using?  If you are using a newer version of Labview you will need to modify the path to LIFA_Base.  Substitute Labview20XX for Labview2010 in the path to LIFA_Base.  Where XX is 11 for the 2011 version of Labview,  12 for the 2012 version of Labview or 13 for the 2013 version of Labview. 

$anman23
on

thank you hrh1818 for rpl,

I am using LabView 2010. And where should i do the changes as per your rpl. can u pl Tell me in detail?

hrh1818
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Lets try a different approach to make sure LIFA_Base is installed on your computer.  Use Windows Search capability to search your C:\ drive for the LIFA_Base file.  If Windows can find the LIFA_Base file use the path shown to have the Arduino's IDE Open the file, compile the file and upload the sketch to your Arduino Uno. 

If Windows can not find the LIFA_Base file most likely the VIPM installation of the LIFA toolkit was faulty.  You can double check this by searching for "Arduino" examples in your installed copy of Labview.

I doubt if this is the problem but after 2010 Arduio changed the extension used by Arduino Source files.  The extension changed from .pde to .ino.  So don't be surprised ed if the LIFA_Base file shows up with a .ino extension.

hrh1818

Ashlida
on

hai there,

i would like to ask, how to install example into labview. please advice,

if could please have some video about it

anishusna25
on

i have done with all the procedures from install the labview,install the NI-VISA drivers, Install JKI VI Package Manager, install the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino , Connect your Arduino to your PC , Load the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Firmware onto your Arduino but  when i upload my work at the arduino IDE, it appear error for undefined reference. please help me ....by the way i'm using the labview 20131.PNG

anhee
on

Hi...

I want to connect Arduino to LabVIEW with input analog output serial but Arduino not connected to LabVIEW on my computer and I was Instaled LIFA on my computer,SP32-139.png what problems? help me

and where I find status on LabVIEW

Thank you.

Protik
on

I do have very little knowledge on labview and i want know about

i know i am asking a very stupid question .do i have to write code in ardunio while i am using labview the graphical programing soft ?

and as a beginner what book should i follow to make robot ,i have already made obstracle avoding robot with ardunio .Now i want make a robot which can be control by xbee or wifi

plz help

hrh1818
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I moved your question to Discussions.  When looking for help please post your message in the Discussions category.

hrh1818

Iassom95
on

hi all. Could we send text instruction on arduino via the analog pin as with the FPGA?THANKS

pong301275
on

Hi all. I used Labview Studnet Edition 2013, but I cannot install LIFA.
The error showed that VIPM cannot connect to Labview.

How can I solve it out?

ag95
on

i am using Arduino mini w/atmega 328 board and it is showing error 5003....... plz help me...... whether it is supported or not

a.raza
on

Hi

These FAQs answered several questions in my mind!

Thanks

Ali Raza

Bingal67
on

Hello,

anishusna25 28 mars 2014 23:12

i have done with all the procedures from install the labview,install the NI-VISA drivers, Install JKI VI Package Manager, install the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino , Connect your Arduino to your PC , Load the LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Firmware onto your Arduino but  when i upload my work at the arduino IDE, it appear error for undefined reference. please help me ....by the way i'm using the labview 20131.PNG

I have the same error !!!

Please Help.

JPV67
plulai
on

I found LabVIEW education 2012 works with my Arduino Uno ONLY I use version 1.05 of the Arduino software.  Now I am trying to get the rest of my student computers up and running.  I can't find LIFA anymore.  It has been replaced by LINX.  Unfortunately, LINX is not supported in LabVIEW 2012.  So.... Can you please post LIFA downloads again.

JUrrego
on

Mi FUE solucion ejecutar el firmware con labview cerrado..de modo que abri aplicacion arduino. conectoplaca reconos que esta vinculada con el pc, aprobro el lifa base para ejecutarlo en aplicacion arduino y la placa me da como respuesta tx y rx prendidos por un momento. hay ya tengo comunicacion...despues abro labview y a disfrutar!

saludos!

test_man
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Once I update Arduino firmware using LabVIEW/LINX how do I go back to default firmware of Arduino?

Thanks.

Thanks.
CVI 2010
LabVIEW 2011 SP1
Vision Builder AI 2011 SP1
artp
on

hello all

I am new in arduino labview programming..

for my own interest,I have designed a small system in which I am reading data from senser and want to display on LCD

Getting problem when sending data to LCD.

clecio8
on

Hello all, Is it possible to use this toolkit with ESP32?

Does someone already tested? 

Thanks in advance.

Contributors